Any guitarist's in here that play drums too?

SnoMan97

• Members

i aint great on drums. i can hold basic grooves (maybe a little more), but i do play to a click and they're tight. fills kinda suck tho. i'm never going to get better due to an old tennis elbow injury and it hurts after about an hour of playing, so i only play when i record.

i played for a few years in my teens. started again in my forties and it didn't take long to get back to where i was before. so which was harder to learn? hard to say. i've been playing guitar continuosly since i was 12 and i'm a much better guitarist than drummer. i would say drumming is harder. i see people who can't drum sitting down at my kit for the first time and they just can't seem to coordinate 2 arms and 2 legs. i imagine it's like trying to walk, spit, fart and juggle all at the same time for them.

• Members

I started on the snare in 5th grade and was a first and second chair drummer on up too 12 th grade graduation.

I can play and read quite well both a kit as well as tympani and other percussive instruments.

However I generally loose interest on the Kit after about 20 mins sadly.

I still have a few of the drum competition medals we won at Interlochen as well as other regional drumming shows.

It was an Excellent experience.

• Members

Back in the day, I was mainly a drummer, then switched to keyboard later. I have a set of TAMA Rockstars w/ Zildjan Cymbals downstairs - but I hardly play drums anymore.

BTW - other drummers that became Guitarists: Frank Zappa, Jack White, J Mascis.

• Moderators

I started on drums a few years before I took up guitar. (And bass in between the two)

It's really hard to say that an instrument is "easier" or "harder" than another. I mean, easier to do what? But I will say, in my experience, it takes less time for most people to become a good enough drummer to play acceptably in a straight-up rock band than it would to become a good enough guitarist to do so.

However, become an actually good drummer with chops, who can play diverse styles and who has good feel and time, is (for most) probably quite harder than becoming a "good" guitarist.

• Members

Guitar was way harder to learn, for me.

Drums honestly came pretty naturally. The only thing I can think of is that while learning the guitar, I kinda learned about music in general. Rhythm and such.

I'm not the greatest, but I was surprised at how I can hold a beat, as well as improvise some fills. It's mainly copying other drummers I hear, though. :lol:

• Members
Which was harder for you to learn...drums or guitar?

Guitar. Rhythm seems to be more fundamental. After a while though guitar seems easier. The thing with music is the earlier you start, and the more you practice, the better.

• Members

I've been playing guitar for about six years. But I have been playing drums for about one year and I find drums pretty easy. Its not insane metal drumming with double kick going a hundred miles an hour but I can be pretty good with some complex drumming.

• Members

Guitar was much harder. I started on drums when I was 10 and started playing around with guitar when I was around 18. Granted, I laid down the sticks for about 20+ years but it was easy picking them back up (like riding a bike). Its much easier getting back into the groove on drums than laying off of guitar and being able to just pick it up and wail away.

• Members

I have V-drums that I really like. I've had them about a year. Being able to plug in your mp3 and play with headphones is great. I have used them to record some basic beats with which has been a great way to learn. Drums are not as easy as they look.

• Members

I play drums, but not very well. I can do backing tracks on rock and blues songs, but I can't do metal. I didn't own a kit until I was 28 (I'm 30 now), but I started playing guitar at 11. So, it's hard to say which is harder. It's more difficult to learn an instrument when you're 30.

• Members

I started out learning percussion in junior high, and as is characteristic of many musicians, was blown away the first time I heard an electric guitar and had to switch.

Of course, it's always fun playing with things like MIDI drum pad controllers.

• Members

Well, if your learned good, solid rythm and feel on guitar, transitioning to drums (in my experience) is a piece of cake. Just gotta build up the chops and get used to the HUGE change of dynamics compared to guitar. They both take a slightly different mindset though.

• Members

i assumed some question was coming; but i suppose it turns out it's just chatter.

that said; i actually started on guitar first. high school buddy of mine (who - oddly enough - i see posted on here pretty often) and i both wanted to learn - but he got pretty good way fast and started a band. he asked if i wanted to learn to play drums and be in said band. i said "sure!"

didn't really touch guitar again till my mid-20s when i was kinda burnt on out drums - it was all i did and cared about for like 8 years. in fact, there was a point i told myself i'd never play drums in a band again.

after about a 3 year break when i was focused purely on guitar ... i got an email fwd'd to me about a cool local alt-country band looking for a drummer. since that's 90% of what i listen to, i was stoked to try out.

showed up to the audition having not even held a pair of drumsticks in 3 years and somehow wound up getting the gig.

we were out boozin it up at the red lion a couple weeks ago and it somehow came up in a conversation with the bass player that it'd been so long since i'd played when i came to the audition. she didn't believe me.

i'm certainly a far better drummer than guitar player.

i don't think one is any easier or harder than the other. you can learn a straightforward rock beat that, say, phil rudd has made an entire career out of - and conversely, you can learn a couple power chords and play every single ramones song you ever heard in a couple hours.

getting to the level of these guys?

Ln6b_nBM-V8

good luck with that.

• Members

Are drums easier to learn?? Well i think it depends a lot on the person, are you naturally coordinated? maybe you are a good dancer?? maybe if this is the case you will find learning drums a lot easier than someone thats a bit more unco (like myself) -though only to a point. Having a natural flare for something is an advantage but be it any instrument if you wanna get really good at it (not just average) there is no compensation for practice.

Archived