Les Paul Studio VS Standard question

danxrs05

• Members

I own a Gibson Les Paul Studio (Wine Cherry).

I also own a ESP/LTD Ec-401 (OW)

Thing is, I never play my LTD now since I by far prefer my Gibson.

Now I am hesitating. I am thinking of selling both and make the move to a Used Les Paul Standard.

Would it be worth it vs the Studio?

I could find one on the web for around 1700$ (Canadian) (I am in Canada).

I just want your thoughts.

Thanks.

• Members

imho never having owned but having played several of both: A good Studio is every bit the instrument that a standard is, so for pure utility I don't think it's worth it. The standards have some lovely cosmetics though, and people more knowledgeable than me might chime in as to the consistency of each model

• Members

It depends what is important to you. Does your studio have a maple top? If so, then soundwise, you could make pickup changes and get things pretty similar to the standard.

Aesthetics and feel would be a different story, though. You get binding, etc., on the standard. So it really comes down to your preferences. If you're just looking for an improved sound, it may not be worth it.

• Members

I think the most notable thing, assuming you have a good Studio, and track down a GOOD Standard is the feel regarding the binding...bound Gibsons do feel a little more "upmarket" than their unbound cousins, depends if it matters to you or not.

Generally in my experience, a Standard does feel more of an upmarket guitar in general, but how much of that is perception and how much actual reality I couldn't say.

:thu:

• Members

I've owned both and currently own a 2002 Standard. The Studio is a great guitar and very comparable in feel to the Standard. There are some subtle differences based on which year and model you own. The Studio doesn't have the bound body and neck of course. Plus, the neck on my Standrd is a 60's neck and the Studios I've owned were a combo of a 50/60's neck.

My advice would be to go and play as many Standards if you can. there are good ones and bad ones out there as there are for any model of guitar.

My main point is that IMHO there isn't a huge difference in the playabilty between a Studio and a Standard.

• Members
What is a jobbie?

Sorry i'm french! hehehe

Sorry!

What I think is, is that if you are happy with the studio, and it is doing the Les Paul thing for you in a good way, I would be inclined to wait until I could afford a Standard from the Custom shop, an R7, R8 or or an R9.

You can occasionally get good deals on 2nd hand Gibson Custom shop guitars, and personally, that is probably what I would do.

I wouldn't let the studio go until you've found something you like better...theres no guarantee if you have a good studio that you're actually going to end up with a BETTER guitar regardless, possibly just different.

Ideally, you could do with actually playing a few, and deciding if they feel better enough for you to sell your Studio.

• Members
I own a Gibson Les Paul Studio (Wine Cherry).

I also own a ESP/LTD Ec-401 (OW)

Thing is, I never play my LTD now since I by far prefer my Gibson.

Now I am hesitating. I am thinking of selling both and make the move to a Used Les Paul Standard.

Would it be worth it vs the Studio?

I could find one on the web for around 1700$ (Canadian) (I am in Canada).

I just want your thoughts.

Thanks.

BUY A HERITAGE H150............This would get you Les Paul Custom Shop.:thu:;):love:

Jay Wolfe sells TONS of them....$1900 NEW.

You can get used ones on Ebay for very good prices.....$900 to 1100 for a DAMN fine guitar!

PS: Since you are a fellow Canuk.......check LA Music in T.O They have some Killer prices on Gibbies....if you need a Gibbie.

• Members
BUY A HERITAGE H150............This would get you Les Paul Custom Shop.
:thu:;):love:

Jay Wolfe sells TONS of them....$1900 NEW.

You can get used ones on Ebay for very good prices.....$900 to 1100 for a DAMN fine guitar!

Owning a Heritage didn't stop me from wanting a Gibson....

• Members

If I saved up for a Gibson beyond a Studio, I'd go all the way and save up for a Black Beauty w/ Bigsby.

That's just me though.

IIRC, the black beauty lacks the maple top the OP finds important. :poke:

Otherwise, cool guitar!

• Members

IIRC, the black beauty lacks the maple top the OP finds important. :poke:

Otherwise, cool guitar!

In that case, buy one of these:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Limited-Run-Les-Paul-Florentine-with-Bigsby-Electric-Guitar?sku=527776

or

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-LP295-Goldtop-Electric-Guitar?sku=516439

Archived