Asymmetrical necks - yay or nay?

IRG

• Members

I'm considering an Epiphone LP Tribute, and they have the option of a regular neck or asymmetrical, where the bass side is a d shaped neck, and treble side is a thinner c shape. I like it in theory, but can't find one to play locally. Anyone try this neck, or one like it, and what are the overall thoughts about this design? I know Gibson is doing it now in their Standard Traditional Pro or whatever model it is, same concept I think. ANy comments are helpful.

• Members

I know Gibson is doing it now in their Standard Traditional Pro or whatever model it is, same concept I think. ANy comments are helpful.

Traditional Pro does not have an asymmetrical neck, it's a 60's style. Regular Traditionals have 50's style. 2008+ Standards have asymmetrical.

• Members

1-You HAVE to try these things yourself, not rely on opinions

2-How much does the new DLA pedal cost for it to be 150$ used?
:cry:

New they are $195 or $199 - seams like $150 is fair, no? I got it from Tonefactor a month or two ago.

And I agree on the neck thing, I've owned EP LPs in the past, all pretty good necks, but having it a bit thinner on the treble side sounds appealing to me, better playability. I'm more of a strat/tele guy but I do love a good LP.

• Members

I've never played the epiphone model you are talking about, and I agree that neck profiles are very much a try it before you buy it kind of thing, but if the epi is anything like the asymmetric profile on my 08 standard, I'd hit hit. Most comfortable neck I have ever played.

• Members

I've never played the epiphone model you are talking about, and I agree that neck profiles are very much a try it before you buy it kind of thing, but if the epi is anything like the asymmetric profile on my 08 standard, I'd hit hit. Most comfortable neck I have ever played.

Great to hear, thanks. I think the design is basically the same, no surprise given Gibson ownes Epiphone.

• Members

New they are $195 or $199 - seams like $150 is fair, no? I got it from Tonefactor a month or two ago.

And I agree on the neck thing, I've owned EP LPs in the past, all pretty good necks, but having it a bit thinner on the treble side sounds appealing to me, better playability. I'm more of a strat/tele guy but I do love a good LP.

{censored}, what did they add to it to make it go from 149$ to 199$?? I'll be stuck with my DE-7 for a while, I guess.

• Members

{censored}, what did they add to it to make it go from 149$ to 199$?? I'll be stuck with my DE-7 for a while, I guess.

There are two versions, the regular black one, and the newer one that I'm selling here (gold color) that added tap tempo trails and triplets. If those features are of no matter to you, than the regular version is the way to go.

• Members

There are two versions, the regular black one, and the newer one that I'm selling here (gold color) that added tap tempo trails and triplets. If those features are of no matter to you, than the regular version is the way to go.

Oh cool. Thanks. The golden one is cute, though.

• Members

Only asymetrical necks Ive played where on basses. Is nice thing. Not required for very comfortable playing, but would take the asymetrical neck version of fave guitar or bass if it was available for not too much more cost wise.

• Members

I love the asymmetrical neck on my Strat (it's a Warmoth SRV carve) but that's a pretty fat neck - .935 at the nut. But that's the way I like 'em. :cool:

I would try before you buy, and check that guitar over like a mofo. Do NOT buy Gibson or Epiphones online, simply because their QC is so hit-and-miss.

Archived