The Mojo is strong in the Page

• Members

Page is a dude that played the guitar. Some of it marginally good. Most of it not. He's no God.
:eek::lol:

Yup - you're sooo right!

I could play Stairway when I was 13.... Jimmy didn't write it until he was 23.

• Members

I have two things to say

1) the 80s are certainly not the new 60s

2) The best of Page's work is reserved for his impeccable performances as a session player before, during and after Zeppelin. It is not the stuff he did with Zep in studio or live. He is therefore invisible to most people.

• Moderators

I have two things to say

1) the 80s are certainly not the new 60s

2) The best of Page's work is reserved for his impeccable performances as a session player before, during and after Zeppelin. It is not the stuff he did with Zep in studio or live. He is therefore invisible to most people.

Hmmm, the Zep studio stuff isn't shabby, and he blew my head at Knebworth despite some of the press for those gigs

• Members

this kinda bugs me when some one discounts page as a guitarist..

any one who has really heard led zep 3. will know what a talent he really is.

and an amazing composer.. now if you want to say that all pages playing is slopy rehash of some blues pent stuff.. then take a listen to physical graf or presence or.. hell its not just about stairway or black dog or... better yet name me one debut lp that is as solid as led zep 1.. not a guitar god.. but

seems to be a whipping boy for some folks now and days.. not saying his playing is not sloppy on bits and live some of it is a bit lack luster... but

his catalog is way more then the radio stuff..

way more..

• Members

now if you want to say that all pages playing is slopy rehash of some blues pent stuff.. then take a listen to physical graf or presence

"Presence" has astoundingly precise playing on it. In many ways, it's my least favourite of their LPs, but it certainly proves that that falling-down-the-stairs swagger of his other stuff was a choice, not a limitation.

• Moderators

and an amazing composer..

Reckon anybody who knows his full catalogue simply cannot deny his phenomenal skill, creativity and technical ability, Clapton himself I think would acknowldge that JP is in a higher league than he is

• Members

Page is a dude that played the guitar. Some of it marginally good. Most of it not. He's no God.
:eek::lol:

Awesome Quote!!

Whoever wrote that must be a GENIUS!!! :thu:

Now I see why you diss Page, and Love Clapton so much. :idea:

You measure greatness by the degree of plaigerism involved.

Yes, Page might have "lifted" a few things here and there but he had oil tankers full of original ideas.

Clapton, on the other hand....... Zero. Nothing. Nada.

• Members

First of all there's no such thing as mojo. Second, Page is one of the best guitarists of all time.

Actually, I read one story that holds Jimmy invented mojo.

Well, not so much invented it as conjured it up with a newt and some stumpwater, but still...

EG

• Members
Awesome Quote!!

Whoever wrote that must be a GENIUS!!!
:thu:

Now I see why you diss Page, and Love Clapton so much.
:idea:

You measure greatness by the degree of plaigerism involved.

Yes, Page might have "lifted" a few things here and there but he had oil tankers full of original ideas.

Clapton, on the other hand....... Zero. Nothing. Nada.

Agreed with the genius part, I should have credited you. I figure the OP was smart enough to figure it out.

And for the record, I like both Clapton and Page equally. My real problem is those that feel they need to tear down someone to build up their own cred. And plaigerism has always been part of the game, from the first time a caveman picked up a Strat... :poke:

• Members

Agreed with the genius part, I should have credited you. I figure the OP was smart enough to figure it out.

And for the record, I like both Clapton and Page equally. My real problem is those that feel they need to tear down someone to build up their own cred. And plaigerism has always been part of the game, from the first time a caveman picked up a Strat... :poke:

I was pretty much just kidding. Busting your balls, y'know? :lol:

• Members

and an amazing composer.. now if you want to say that all pages playing is slopy rehash of some blues pent stuff.. then take a listen to physical graf or presence or.. hell its not just about stairway or black dog or... better yet name me one debut lp that is as solid as led zep 1.. not a guitar god.. but

seems to be a whipping boy for some folks now and days.. not saying his playing is not sloppy on bits and live some of it is a bit lack luster... but

his catalog is way more then the radio stuff..

way more..

Great post. You definitely have to look at his career as a whole if you're going to judge him. After doing so, anybody who denies his talent is deluding themselves.

• Members

So much fail here. Oh so much fail.

No wonder this world is going to hell.

The man has,at the very least, more talent in one of his pubic hairs than most people here will have in a lifetime. You wish you could squeeze a drop of his awesome essence from just one pube and spread it on your fingertips to gain but a modicum of what he has.

Pube freaks.

• Members
not saying his playing is not sloppy on bits

Maybe he's just pushing himself to the absolute limit every time :idk:

Pagey is the riff master and an amazing producer. I think he is incredible talented and I would kill to have just a drop of that talent. But since guitar playing for many is a competition you have to talk trash I guess :wave:

• Members

Everybody has different musical tastes, but to deny Jimmy Page's talent and influence regardless of his shortcomings is to deprive yourself of some great guitar playing.

Was his playing ever *perfect*? No. Did he inspire me to play the guitar and increase my oh-so-visceral appreciation of rock? Absolutely.

Archived