Replacement Pickups for Epi SG

Padrino

• Members

Thinking about changing some things around in an Epi SG i got on the cheap from a guy yesterday.

I was looking at Pearly Gates/or '57 Classics...Maybe a set of BG Smokestacks for a coil split? :confused:

All i know is...the stock ones are pretty much junk, and since the thing plays really nice, i'd like to be able to coax some love out of it.

Thoughts/reccomendations?

• Members

is it an Epi G400? i've actually grown to quite like the ones in my Epi G400 Deluxe, although i thought they were a bit dull at first. Having said that I'm replacing them with GFS clearance hex overwound humbuckers because i want it wired for series/parallel for variation. Heard good things about them even though they're cheap

• Members

I picked up a 2003 Vintage G400 a few weeks ago that had been modded with a pearly gates in the bridge position and a Wilkenson pickup in the neck position. The Pearly Gates sounds fantastic, I was also surprised with the Wilkenson neck pickup.

• Members

is it an Epi G400? i've actually grown to quite like the ones in my Epi G400 Deluxe, although i thought they were a bit dull at first. Having said that I'm replacing them with GFS clearance hex overwound humbuckers because i want it wired for series/parallel for variation. Heard good things about them even though they're cheap

Yea its a 2003 or 2004 4 Vintage G-400. I'm loving it actually, i tweaked the previous setup for 11s, and it plays quite nice. The pickups just sound kinda flat with no character. I dunno, maybe they could shape up. i'll keep tweaking it until i get something i like i guess.

I will try to change out the pots and caps first though, thanks EG.

Overall, for 125 bucks, its a seriously nice player.

• Members

So, you probably don't want to spend $200 on pickups for a $125 guitar.

I'd move the bridge pickup to the neck and get something really cool but not too expensive for the bridge. The suggestions above are great. You don't need a super high output pickup for great SG tones. The new Angus Young Custom Shop SG has a Pearly Gates in the bridge position.

• Members

Sure you do-you can always put the stockers back in when (if) you sell.

Scored a Samick SG from some crazy church lady in NoHo years ago for cheap. Scored a pair of Wolfetone DrVintage w/original PAF mags from a noted Texas collector, and popped 'em into the SG just to see how they sounded-been in there for 4 years now.

Sheptone tributes sound incredible in SG too-Mick Taylor/Classic PAF/SG tone for days.

Do it........:thu:

• Members

I'd move the bridge pickup to the neck and get something really cool but not too expensive for the bridge. The suggestions above are great. You don't need a super high output pickup for great SG tones. The new Angus Young Custom Shop SG has a Pearly Gates in the bridge position.

sometimes that's not such a bad thing if you like the guitar itself. I got a used Squier Bullet Strat last year at a local pawn for $75 that had a set of CS Texas Specials in it. the pickups were worth more than the guitar, but after fixing the guitar up for minimal expense I decided it's a keeper...:o

• Members

Yea its a 2003 or 2004 4 Vintage G-400. I'm loving it actually, i tweaked the previous setup for 11s, and it plays quite nice. The pickups just sound kinda flat with no character. I dunno, maybe they could shape up. i'll keep tweaking it until i get something i like i guess.

I will try to change out the pots and caps first though, thanks EG.

Overall, for 125 bucks, its a seriously nice player.

that's a great price! mine's from 2003 also. it was my brother's but he gave up playing a few years ago :facepalm::confused: and gave it to me. Really nice playing/sounding/looking guitar. been my no.1 for a few years.

Archived