scuzzo

• Members

I like the early Floyd the best:

Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Saucerful of Secrets

Ummagumma

Meddle

and some of the stuff on Relics.

My favourite songs: Astronomy Domine, Careful with that Axe Eugene, Arnold Layne, Lucifer Sam, Interstellar Overdrive, Echoes, Set the Controls to the Heart of the Sun, Julia Dream.

Syd Barrett was a complete genious, but once he faded from their music (he was in it for a long time after he left), they declined for me.

Dark Side of the Moon is great, and Animals is good, but DSOTM is like Led Zeppelin IV - get's a bit too much exposure compared to their other stuff. I can't really stand The Wall or anything after that... however, I like some of Gilmour's most recent stuff.

I thought Ummagumma was their freakiest album. My drug-addled friends and I really got into it in the early '70s. It really freaked me out, especially songs like The Narrow Way, Parts 1, 2 and 3. Or maybe it was called The Grand Vizier's Garden Party?:idk:

My favorite album of the Floyd's pre-DSOTM is the soundtrack to the movie More, there are some beautiful songs on there, and some hard rockers. I wonder if that damn movie even really exists :mad:

51EBA1WEEHL._SS500_.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought
Ummagumma
was their freakiest album. My drug-addled friends and I really got into it in the early '70s. It really freaked me out, especially songs like
The Narrow Way, Parts 1, 2 and 3.
Or maybe it was called
The Grand Vizier's Garden Party?
:idk:

My favorite album of the Floyd's pre-DSOTM is the soundtrack to the movie
More,
there are some beautiful songs on there, and some hard rockers. I wonder if that damn movie even really exists
:mad:

51EBA1WEEHL._SS500_.jpg

"The Nile Song" may be the first real metal song ever m/

• Members

one lp i think that gets very little love is Division Bell..

being that its Richard Wrights, thanks for the correction ;) last recording with them i just like to listen to the panio lines and stuff.. High Hopes..

that 6 note intro on piano is the kinda stuff that cuts the wheat from the pop chaff.. just simple melody but so strong.. and the of time of the Bell..

dang.. music for grownups.. mho. ;)

[YOUTUBE]6i8264L8-N4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

This may sound like heresy, but I'd place the Wall at bottom of my list. Here they are in order based off the ones I actually own.

1. Animals

2. Momentary Lapse of Reason

3. Dark Side of the Moon

4.Wish you Were Here

5. The Wall

• Members

This may sound like heresy, but I'd place the Wall at bottom of my list. Here they are in order based off the ones I actually own.

1. Animals

2. Momentary Lapse of Reason

3. Dark Side of the Moon

4.Wish you Were Here

5. The Wall

Probably my least favorite Roger-era PF album as well. The good songs are really freaking good though

• Members

Probably my least favorite Roger-era PF album as well. The good songs are really freaking good though

Exactly, Run Like Hell and Comfortably Numb are among my all time favorite songs. But it's not enough to counterbalance the quality of the remaining material filling up the 2 cd's.

• Members

FF to min 4.04 for the really great stuff

If you ever saw the early Floyd play Echoes live, you'd dig the "late mid atonal" parts

They'd slowly fill the auditorium w/ smoke, and by the time the synth squeals start, the audience felt like they were lost in some prehistoric valley, with animal sounds coming at you from all sides of the venue in the fog. Pretty {censored}in' trippy! :thu:

Archived