Whats So Great about Pink Floyd anyway?

scuzzo

• Members

Pink Floyrd painted far more landscapes than the whole impressionist movement put together, and such beautiful landscapes

Um, RC.

The Impressionist movement painted a huge {censored}load of landscapes. FACT.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Have always loved the Floyd , ever since some junior high school girlyfriend bought me the Piper LP when it first came out Way Back When. Their live shows fearlessly expanded the boundaries of live music presentations, fusing music & sounds into something different from anything else at the time. I'm more a fan of the pre DSotM period, but enjoy it all mostly (except for Final Cut, can't even listen to it) And yeah DG is one of my Gods. And I really miss Richard Wright. :cry:

• Members

Pink Floyd have produced some of my favourite albums of all time.

Dark Side is IMO the greatest album ever. It's just so coherent and brilliant.

The Wall, Animals, and Wish You Were Here are close behind.

I even really enjoy AHM. I listened to it today while doing a spot of cleaning.

• Members

David Gilmour.

For me, David Gilmour is what it is about Pink Floyd That makes then so great.

Without them, they would just be another band that would have a few songs out of their entire catalogue that I might sit through and not change the station if they came on, BUT, because I know there is going to be some of the most awesome perfectly crafted guiotar work ever played, interwoven throughout the songs, they DO have ALOT of songs throughought their entire catalogue that I WILL sit through and not only not change the station, I will TURN them up!!!

So, I like alot of aspects of Pink Floyd, but I LOVE them because of David Gilmour.

• Members

I realize this is blasphemous to many of you, but
Dark Side of the Moon?
Really? Still? I can't change the channel fast enough when I hear that damn cash register on "Money"...

Personally, I think they've gotten way too much mileage out of a handful of albums, even though some of those albums were undeniably great. You can say the same thing about a lot of bands of course, but at what point do we stop worshipping material from 40+ years ago?

Yes, Pink Floyd deserves their place in the rock and roll canon, but like the literary canon, at some point you have to put down the Shakespeare and Steinbeck and realize that a lot of great (and maybe even better) stuff has come along since

I would imagine most of Pink Floyd's fans are alot like me and not as you are portraying them. Your Shakespear analogy makes it sound like because we love Pink Floyd so much, we have failed to notice that alot of other great music exists and has come after them, be we wouldnt know it because we cant "put down", or lay off the Floyd. The Truth is, we can LOVE Pink Floyd, listen to tyhem every day if we want, and STILL have enough room to listen to alot of the other things we like.

For me, guitar solos like

Comfortably numb and Time, etc, will NEVER EVER get old.

• Members

Have always loved the Floyd , ever since some junior high school girlyfriend bought me the Piper LP when it first came out Way Back When. Their live shows fearlessly expanded the boundaries of live music presentations, fusing music & sounds into something different from anything else at the time. I'm more a fan of the pre DSotM period, but enjoy it all mostly (except for Final Cut, can't even listen to it) And yeah DG is one of my Gods. And I really miss Richard Wright.
:cry:

Immensely seconded. My favorite album of theirs is actually Obscured by Clouds, if just because it's so honest. Stripped down, simple, beautiful music, last time we get a lead vocal from Rick until Division Bell, just lovely stuff all around.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I like the early Floyd the best:

Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Saucerful of Secrets

Ummagumma

Meddle

and some of the stuff on Relics.

My favourite songs: Astronomy Domine, Careful with that Axe Eugene, Arnold Layne, Lucifer Sam, Interstellar Overdrive, Echoes, Set the Controls to the Heart of the Sun, Julia Dream.

Syd Barrett was a complete genious, but once he faded from their music (he was in it for a long time after he left), they declined for me.

Dark Side of the Moon is great, and Animals is good, but DSOTM is like Led Zeppelin IV - get's a bit too much exposure compared to their other stuff. I can't really stand The Wall or anything after that... however, I like some of Gilmour's most recent stuff.

• Members

Not entirely true on the Rick comment - after all, he does have some lead vocals in Time... But, of course, it's debatable if those were in fact recorded before or after Obscured by Clouds.

...And I love Obscured by Clouds! My tribute act plays Childhood's End for the first time in concert this weekend, actually!

• Members

So, I like alot of aspects of Pink Floyd, but I LOVE them because of David Gilmour.

My first instinct was to shout "right on!". But then I thought about Richard Wright. Gilmour is right at the top for me, but I wonder if he would have sounded as interesting without some of those fantastic keyboard parts behind him.

For example, I wonder how the perfect guitar parts in Shine On You Crazy Diamond would have sounded with another keyboardist in the background.

And to avoid getting too bogged down into the details, I'll consider The Wall and The Final Cut as Roger Water's albums.

• Members

I've seen it, it looks like the lower pic

first pic looks like some early Kodak stock and a printshop colour balance.

I have most of my life recorded on prints like that.

Of Floyd?

Some good some bad, love Gilmore's playing

RIP Syd and Richard.

• Members

A Great band that belongs in the pantheon of musical greatness.

I Love most of their work. David Gilmour is one of the great musicians of our times. He is also a guitarist that is an example of how expressive the electric guitar can be. Also some of the chord progressions he came up with ARE genious. He also doesn't have that pompous over egotistacle need to play everything at 200mph.

Another cool thing about Floyd is that their albums are all so different yet you can tell at the first note who it is.

• Members

it's hilarious how we're all convincing each other how awesome Floyd/Gilmour are.

"No assface, Pink Floyd is even more awesome than you say !"

"But that 14 second part in Atom Heart Mother could've been better...."

"Yeah, why don't you come up with a 28 minute song, asshole?"

• Members

Now ya see, Atom is about my favourite Floyd material, its a a very very English album, it always makes me feel like I'm in a nice cornfield beside a stile in Devon on a balmy August day, just lovely

I have a few bootlegs where just rock the hell out of AHM. Just works better live. The dynamics seem to come out more. They did two John Peel BBC specials a year apart about the time AHM came out and those entire sets are just amazing (great version of Echoes too in the later session). One of my favorite boots. I was always surprised the BBC never officially released those 2 sessions a decade or so ago, when they started releasing a ton of different BBC sessions.

• Members

Now ya see, Atom is about my favourite Floyd material, its a a very very English album, it always makes me feel like I'm in a nice cornfield beside a stile in Devon on a balmy August day, just lovely

Childhood holidays on Hartland Point in the Beckland Farm of Mr Frank Pickard.

Me, his brother George and George's 'orse 1954.

• Members

it's hilarious
how we're all convincing each other how awesome Floyd/Gilmour are.

"No assface, Pink Floyd is even more awesome than you say !"

"But that 14 second part in Atom Heart Mother could've been better...."

"Yeah, why don't you come up with a 28 minute song, asshole?"

It is hillarious that you have to fabricate quotes to make your point....

whatever point that may be, :confused:

QUOTES that NEVER HAPPENED. :facepalm:

• Members

And I believe a couple of tracks on "Saucerful...." Wasn't Corporal Clegg Barratts?

And thats not to say I dont like later PF...I just like the Syd stuff better.

:thu:

Well, i don't think Gilmour actually played anything on the "Jugband Blues" track

Archived