pick ups

rock n roll

• Members

i am thinking about getting the epiphone les paul standard plain top or plus top.

what do you guy think about these guitars?

thanks!

I'd say play it first. I've played several epiphones and have one myself. Seems to me that some shine and others do not. Play every single fret, every single note. Leave the amp completely clean and I mean all the way clean. country clean and then some. No reverb, no gain, nothing. Listen to every single note ring. If you have to buy sight unseen then get a real 100% guarantee that you can send it back for full price.

Otherwise I'd pass and go with something else.

• Members

just get a 500 dollar guitar and worry about the pickups later. pickups can be upgraded at anytime but if you get a {censored}ty guitar there is only so much you can do.

If the neck is good the rest is just parts.

• Members

I'm going to go against the grain here and say get a set of SD P-Rails and mount them in Triple Shot rings.

This will give you single coil, P-90, humbucker series or humbucker parallel in neck or bridge or any combination of those.

that would be total win. I might have to try this.

• Members

Cool. I really like that thick yet clear tone he gets. I might get me a pair of those. I was thinking about rio grande texas BBQ but i think i'd rather not spend that much on a guitar who's neck i don't like

I have the Texas/BBQ pickups in my Carvin and they're great. They can go from jazz to high gain with no problems and they work extremely well together. You can't go wrong with those pickups.

• Members

i am thinking about getting the epiphone les paul standard plain top or plus top.

what do you guy think about these guitars?

thanks!

Those new Epi's are looking good. I checked a few out the other day and was pleasantly surprised by the fit, finish, and tone. Definitely a good candidate for some upgrades like a killer set of BG's.

• Members

Maybe this has been covered, but how long have you been playing guitar?

No judgement, just curious.

If it's only been a little while, then stop getting hung up about the gear. The most important thing is to get a guitar that feels good in your hands, that has a neck shape that's comfortable, and even that you like the looks of. After that, get a decent amp.

From the questions you ask I think you might be a little new to this. If so, just go to Guitar Center, or whatever is close by, and play what you can afford. Take home the best one and play - don't worry.

This is a great forum, but it will get anyone all spun up about gear. I should know, I've bought all sorts of stuff because of this place! None of it made me a better player. :)

• Members
Maybe this has been covered, but how long have you been playing guitar?

No judgement, just curious.

If it's only been a little while, then stop getting hung up about the gear. The most important thing is to get a guitar that feels good in your hands, that has a neck shape that's comfortable, and even that you like the looks of. After that, get a decent amp.

From the questions you ask I think you might be a little new to this. If so, just go to Guitar Center, or whatever is close by, and play what you can afford. Take home the best one and play - don't worry.

This is a great forum, but it will get anyone all spun up about gear. I should know, I've bought all sorts of stuff because of this place! None of it made me a better player.
:)

YOU MEAN YOU CAN'T BUY THE SKILLZ!!! DANG IT!

Archived