Wall warts / AC adapters

Sheraton

• Members

I am not recommending it, but most times 12V will work and you won't notice anything. 6V is probably going to be a little too weak to power some devices properly and may create some noise or not work at all.

If you check the output voltage on most of these wall warts they are anything but dead on accurate; I've seen 16VDC out of a 12VDC adapter more than a few times.

• Members

Be careful. It's not impossible to burn out a pedal using an adaptor that puts out too much voltage and amps.

The first thing I smelled was that electrical burning smell. Yah! You guessed it! I've done this boo boo.

One 9v adaptor with an Ibanez DC5 daisy chain can accommodate 5 pedals with 9v power. They're only $15.

• Members

Be careful. It's not impossible to burn out a pedal using an adaptor that puts out too much voltage and amps.

The first thing I smelled was that electrical burning smell. Yah! You guessed it! I've done this boo boo.

One 9v adaptor with an Ibanez DC5 daisy chain can accommodate 5 pedals with 9v power. They're only $15.

What is this magical device, what do you call it? An Ibanez Daisy Chain? That you speak of.

• Members

Just look for a 1Spot they are cheaper and it's just a daisy chain that runs off of one wall wart. I would post a link but I'm on an iPhone and it's a pain. Just eBay search 1Spot.
:thu:

Did a search. It looks like the 5 position one is $10 at GC. Cool! :thu:

• Members

What happens if you use a 12v AC adapter with a pedal that uses either a 9v battery or 9v AC adapter? What about a 6v adapter?

I'd be really careful with a 12VAC adapter. The peak DC voltage from this adapter will be around 18V, which could fry the voltage regulator in your pedal. If you were using a 12VDC adapter you might be OK, but of course the polarity would have to be correct (ie center pin neg or positive, depending on what the pedal needs).

6VDC probably won't drive your pedal enough and you could overheat the wallwart, because what it lacks in voltage it will try to make up in current.

Anyway, it's probably safest just to spend the $10 on a properly rated wall wart.

Cheers

Archived