I bust my nut, and I need a new one!

Nunc_Stans

• Members

Recently I bought a rather nice strat styled guitar with somewhat a broken nut. *Low E slipped out very easily*

I went to go change from the .09's to my usual .10's and now it doesn't stay in the nut at all.

Now that I am getting a new nut I get to make my first nut swap ever.

I'm trying hard to decide between Graphite *the current is graphite* or adjustable brass.

The only thing holding me back from the adjustable brass is that i really like the tone of this guitar and I feel like a brass nut would change the tone making it brighter which would be unfavorable.

So what's your take on this decision?

EDIT: Forgive me it is the low E that is slipping out.

I really should wait until I'm fully awake to make threads eyy?

Fix'd

• Members

What's the angle coming from the nut to the tuner look like? If you don't have a string tree on there that may be the problem. I've got a strat that had the same problem until I put the string tree back on.

• Members

What's the angle coming from the nut to the tuner look like? If you don't have a string tree on there that may be the problem. I've got a strat that had the same problem until I put the string tree back on.

The low E is the string slipping out.

There's a chunk miss off the side so when I upstroke it just pops right out.

My string trees are fine.

Roller trees in fact:thu:.

• Members

If you use the trem at all I would strongly recommend graph tech's black tusq nut. I think they a far superior to any other nut for a strat next to a LSR, or a floyd locking nut. The tunning stability you get with these is near perfect.

As far as tone, that is more marketing then reality. 95% of the notes I play are fretted by the bone in my fingers, not the nut. The nut has very little effect on a guitars playing tone.

• Members

Nuts being adjustable just seems like such a good idea.

I think I'm going to go with brass and just roll back the tone knob a bit more.

Plus it's only going to noticeably effect the tone of open strings.

I don't use tremolo much, and when I do it's only for very subtle vibrato on harmonics so the TUSQ seems like a waste of the money.

I could just keep it on temporarily unglued so I can return it if the change in tone is too drastic.

If I'm not satisfied with the tone I can just send the nut back and go with something else.

Archived