Gibson SG Firebrand

VeritasAequitas

• Members

One snide comment that I forgot to mention earlier is that, for some reason, most of the Firebrand SGs (specifically) that I've seen have suffered some form of butchery.

Bigsbys, routing / chiseling, horribly amateur fixes to the body or neck, band logos done with latex house paint or krylon -- there's something about wal-NUT that brings out the nutter in people, causing them go nuts, causing them to permanently modify their guitar. Gibson subliminal marketing maybe? ;)

• Members

lol.

I bought mine in 1998. Took the pick guard off this year and put a Rose Alnico humbucker in the neck.

I got mine in Oct 78, they were brand new, It was a choice between a RD Standard, and The Paul, both were $499 CND with the case thrown in. Mine had T-tops, not the Dirty Fingers. Ebony board (later on they had some pretty horrendous white streaks), wide oval frets, and a thin wide profile (for the time, nothing like a shredder neck), I loved it.

• Members

The ES-335 "S" is a solid walnut ES-335 with a small body. I remember seeing one once. I wasn't impressed, but I might've been impressed if I actually played it. Probably heavy as a ...

As for Firebrands in general, when I see used Firebrands, they are usually Firebrand SGs. If I'm not mistaken, the Firebrand Les Paul is a sub-class of The Paul series -- all of which I believe are walnut.

GibsonThePaulTheSG.jpg

A lot (not all) of Firebrands were done in mahogany.

• Members

Way back when, I remember Dave Edmunds mentioning that he put aside his 335s in favour of 'The Paul', but got seriously ragged on for playing a 'cheap guitar.'

And nowadays he plays Teles ... which he now says he wishes he'd been playing all along.

• Members

I might have kept mine, if it was the LP shape. The 335 shape as a solid struck me as very odd. But it played well and sounded nice. This was 1988-1990-ish? I was wheeling & dealing at the time with a friend who was a pawn shop employee/trader. I tried all kinds of nice equipment before I really knew how to play or what I was playing. I remember him loaning me:

A Robin guitar with shark teeth inlays. Very nice!

A Fender Princeton

An Ibanez Artist

A Fender Super Reverb

Fender "The" Twin? Red knobs

I ended up with:

Epi LP (sold)

MIM Tele

Marshall 4203 Artist

• Members

A lot (not all) of Firebrands were done in mahogany.

I guess that accounts for the variations I've seen with the natural finish models. I knew The Paul could be either walnut or mahogany.

Even though it was a "cheap" guitar, I've been impressed with The Paul, as it's sort of like an SG in some ways but still predominately a Les Paul. The more recent and fancier The Goddess and that other thin and light Les Paul were sort of a return to the The Paul format.

• Members

Incidentally, Li'l Ed (of Li'l Ed & The Blues Imperials) played some scything slide on a 335S Firebrand...

When it comes to scythes, I always think of the legendary Shrat from Amon Duul swinging his apocalyptic scythe. ;)

Amon-Duul.jpg

• Members

I got mine in Oct 78, they were brand new, It was a choice between a RD Standard, and The Paul, both were $499 CND with the case thrown in. Mine had T-tops, not the Dirty Fingers. Ebony board (later on they had some pretty horrendous white streaks), wide oval frets, and a thin wide profile (for the time, nothing like a shredder neck), I loved it.

That $499 CND in 1978, adjusted for inflation, would be around $1750 CND / $1700 USD in 2010 dollars.

For a "cheap" guitar, they weren't so cheap...

JMO, but the Gibson LP Studio models selling new today for $800-1400 are much better guitars. :idk:

Archived