Opinions on this refinish please...

gergbee

• Members

I know, not a guitar (well, it is a bass guitar) but...there are smart people in here.

I bought a cheap bass, pulled the frets and repainted. I have two questions.

First, does anyone have a link to that refinish thread using spray cans? I want to see what was done between the colour coat and the gloss coat. Wet sanding?

Second, I need some opinions. Should I get chrome knobs or keep the old black ones? Also, the pickguard was broken so I had a friend make one for me. BUT, it's grey! I asked for white. Should I keep the grey or bitch about it and get white? One more, the plastic she used to make it is pretty thick. I was going to get a p-bass guard but it doesn't look like it will fit (especially by the neck), is there any other material I could get, aside from "pickguard" material that looks good? This bass was cheap so I don't feel like spending the same amount on a pickguard as I did on the bass itself.

Here are some pics. The homemade pickguard still has the protective paper so I photoshopped it to the approximate colour in one shot. And sorry for the poor quality in some pics, I was rushed.

Held together with stickers and duct tape.

100_2462.jpg

Frets pulled and veneer glued

100_2465.jpg

Sanded

100_2468.jpg

Plywood with the largest rout I've ever seen.

100_2470.jpg

Paint

000_0013.jpg

Old pickguard

100_2475.jpg

Fake Grey

grey.jpg

• Members

You are welcome. I am getting ready to log off. but I will be happy to answer any questions. Probably wont get back to you till the morning. Good luck. These projects are alot of fun.

Thanks Dave. What did you do between the paint and the clear? Did you wetsand to smooth out any possible rough bits or just leave it and let the gloss cover it?

Greg

• Members

A bump and a question.

What's the best tool to bevel and shape a pickguard? A file? Sandpaper?

There is actually a router bit for that. Check Stew Mac website. A 1/2 inch peice of plywood or particle board is used to make the exact shape of the pickguard. The pickguard is double stick taped or screwed to it and then the router is used.

Or a jig saw, file and sandpaper

Surfy

• Members

Ok, I am getting close to the clear coat stage now but I am a bit concerned about how perfect the colour coat needs to be.

I don't have a proper painting booth so there're some bits that have gotten onto the paint creating some tiny flaws. Plus I had a clogged nozzle so there are some small spatters on the back.

Will the clear coat mask those or does it have to be perfect (or as close as I can get) before the clear goes on?

Greg

• Members

the clear definitely won't mask any flaws...EG had a thread about refinishing an SE into a goldtop? (maybe not that model :confused:) and had the same issue: the can pooped a bit onto the finish and left sploshes.

Best bet would be to sand it down and do it again, that way you'll get the best finish.

• Members

the clear definitely won't mask any flaws...EG had a thread about refinishing an SE into a goldtop? (maybe not that model
:confused:
) and had the same issue: the can pooped a bit onto the finish and left sploshes.

Best bet would be to sand it down and do it again, that way you'll get the best finish.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm going to need more paint.

I found that EG thread but some of the photos are missing :confused:

I don't think I will ever get this thing flaw free. Too much stuff floating around I guess and I can't get a different work space.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Still not finished. I decided to try out the grey pickguard. Not sure I like it, but it's the only one I have. I need to do more on the body.

100_2480.jpg

Does anyone know if one can buy replacement pickup covers? I'll probably end up getting new pickups if I can't.

The neck is looking not too bad. Wenge veneer where the frets used to be.

100_2483.jpg

• Members

I think the grey p/g goes good with the blue. You may be able to put a bevel on it with a file. But make sure you are complete clean & sober. And make sure your swear word vocabulary is complete.

• Members

I kinda like the grey Pickguard. If you want to change it, there is that new paint that is made specifically for plastic. May work on the pickup covers too, not sure. I think Krylon makes it. cool refinish! I really dig these kinds of threads. Just dont drop it on it's face in the driveway like I did on my last fefinish!! I'm such an idiot!

• Members

I kinda like the grey Pickguard. If you want to change it, there is that new paint that is made specifically for plastic. May work on the pickup covers too, not sure. I think Krylon makes it. cool refinish! I really dig these kinds of threads. Just dont drop it on it's face in the driveway like I did on my last fefinish!! I'm such an idiot!

Kraylon Fusion

• 1 month later...

Archived