How would you set up your pedal board if....

jr_vw2

• Members

I don't run anything in the loop because of this exact conundrum. I've carefully selected pedals that sound great in front of a clean to slightly dirty amp. I got rid of everything else that was challenged if placed up front.

Digital reverbs and delays seem to have the most problems...unless placed in the loop. Yet, I found a digital delay that works great out front and takes dirt pedals well (Vox Time Machine). My reverb is analog (VanAmps Solemate). The Solemate actually sounds better out front (more sparkle).

If I were going to run multiple pedals in the loop, I'd put everything on the board in the loop. Then, I'd use the dirt channels within the amp. Maybe, I'd have one boost and a single dirt pedal out front (not on the board). In my case, I'd probably choose an Xotic RC Booster and Analogman King Of Tone dual OD out front.

• Members

I don't run anything in the loop because of this exact conundrum. I've carefully selected pedals that sound great in front of a clean to slightly dirty amp. I got rid of everything else that was challenged if placed up front.

This.

I like a clean setup. I use a clean loud amp and dirty it up and effect it with pedals that sound good into the front end. This works for me but may not work for some.

If you must run stuff into your effects loop, I would suggest that you take 3 20 foot cables, color code each end of each one( one cable red ends, one with blue ends, one with green ends) and bind then together however you see fit (tape, corrugated flexible tubing, shrink tubing). That way you will have a dedicated mini-snake for your pedal board to amp connections.

Just plug red(right angle plug) from board to amp, blue from FX loop out to board(right angle plug here), then (right angle plug here) green from board to FX loop in on the amp

• Members

thats basically what i did (make a snake)... i was running 8 cables to 2 amps at one point.. it becomes a hasle though...

I agree that it becomes a hassle...especially if you like to run dual amps and own multiple amps including some without fx loops. That's part of the reason I don't like to run pedals in the loop...because I like to run dual amps and the wiring becomes a bit complicated. Plus, all that extra cable starts to suck some tone.

I run everything up front with an A/B/Y pedal. Both amps are fed all of my dirt pedals plus a vibe and one chorus as a Leslie simulator. Only one amp gets the verb and delay and the other is dry. This way, my board works easily with dual amps and I can still run a single amp without any changes to the wiring. My overall length of cable is shorter which helps avoid signal loss.

• Members

I use long monster cables, with those changeable color bands. I have two dedicated to the pedals on the loop color coded blue, two for my dirt pedals/wah color coded green. The cables for the loop and the lead from my pedal board to my amp are bundled together with zip ties. Also I should note that I use right angle connector cables, so they point strait down and tuck up neatly underneath the pedal board for a clean look.

• Members

another thing... especially for those up us in the city... I use Ultrasound rehearsal in NYC to rehearse at and though they have rooms full of great amps there is not really any access to the effects loops on them and when your only have a small window of time available to play... every minute of setup eats time from your rehearsal... I run everything in front these days mostly because of that. I am sure as hell not going to be lugging amps around when I don't have to when I have to deal with long walks and cabs.

• Members

If I'm understanding your question right, I did this - two tiers on my pedal board. Built it from some old furniture wood I had in the garage. Bottom tier has two pedals that go direct. Top (back) tier goes in loop. Now my arrangement is simple, not sur it will work for everyone.

Archived