I really couldn't think of a verse melody. (clip)

twotimingpete

• Members

edit 2: here's the next song idea I put down. again, abbreviated. these things sound better in my head before I put them down, then they gravitate towards sounding more generic than I wanted. I think I need a collaborator to keep things fresher. working on that part.

link: http://www.gulchcomic.com/images/stars.mp3

edit: here's my next crappy creation. http://www.gulchcomic.com/images/windpipe2.mp3

I was fooling around with some recording stuff. thought I had an idea for a song, but never really came up with the vocals for the verse or exactly how it should go. I have a chorus and some riffs though.

I sequenced the drums which was a pain in the ass, and one of the reasons that I don't record as much as I'd like to.

http://www.gulchcomic.com/images/ridesordies2b.mp3

bass is my $100 sx bass with factory strings. :)

this is a bit more corny than I'd usually come up with (I tend to be a bit more indy/spunky).. but whatever.

• Members

I was fooling around with some recording stuff. thought I had an idea for a song, but never really came up with the vocals for the verse or exactly how it should go. I have a chorus and some riffs though.

I sequenced the drums which was a pain in the ass, and one of the reasons that I don't record as much as I'd like to.

http://www.gulchcomic.com/images/ridesordies2b.mp3

bass is my $100 sx bass with factory strings.
:)

this is a bit more corny than I'd usually come up with (I tend to be a bit more indy/spunky).. but whatever.

I like it! I think you should finish it. I like your singing voice too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

First version you posted: I like some parts of that - the opening sections and some of the vocals. For me (although I hate to admit it and especially on this forum), there is almost TOO much guitar - too many layers and perhaps not enough space. It's quite a busy song. I think you have written a potentially great song, but some of the guitar parts are a bit cliched.

Not sure any of that helps, but I would be inclined to boil it down a bit more to its main elements, or its main catch.

Edit - Prefer the second song - has more shape and form to it. It has a lot of feeling, which I like.

• Members

thanks for the feedback -- I should clarify that the songs I record are sort of abbreviated just to get the jist of it down -- the songs definitely need more fleshing out.

I also don't have any aspirations to be a singer, it's just there so I can put my ideas down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I put down another song idea this morning. again, abbreviated. I'm doing this to experiment and get ideas down before I forget them -- this process helps me grow, I believe. as I said in the edit, though, I think my {censored} tends to gravitate towards the same thing over and over -- and I think getting a band and thus co-writers would really help a lot. http://www.gulchcomic.com/images/stars.mp3

• Members

What are you using for a recording setup? All three songs sound pretty good. I also don't record as much as I'd like to because of the whole sequencing drums thing.

As for your writing gravitating toward the same thing over and over, I tend to do the same thing. I used to hate it, but now I embrace it. A lot of the bands I like are easily identifiable because all of their songs sound the same. No, not exactly the same, but they're all familiar or representative of each other. I'm just glad I've developed a style after all of these years that fits me pretty well.

• Members

What are you using for a recording setup? All three songs sound pretty good. I also don't record as much as I'd like to because of the whole sequencing drums thing.

As for your writing gravitating toward the same thing over and over, I tend to do the same thing. I used to hate it, but now I embrace it. A lot of the bands I like are easily identifiable because all of their songs sound the same. No, not exactly the same, but they're all familiar or representative of each other. I'm just glad I've developed a style after all of these years that fits me pretty well.

thanks for checking them out.

for my music gear, it's just a fender standard strat and a bugera v22.

strat1.jpg

although I'm micing it less and less for my recordings because it's kind of a pain in the ass to do it this way when I have a pod studio ux1... in this thread it's mostly been ux1. if I really want something to sound woofy and have that "air pushing" sound in a spot I'll turn up and mic up but for the most part it's just not convenient -- and really doesn't even sound as good, quality-wise.

I use the basic stock single coils even for my heavy distortion because it sounds good to me, so why not? (please note, I had to wire the bridge pickup for tone control and I keep it rolled off for distortion -- otherwise it's too harsh)

for software I'm using a program called acoustica mixcraft for the recording... it's obviously not going to be as powerful as protools or whatever, but I'm a novice -- and it's very simple and easy to use and does the type of things I need to do.

for drums I'm using acoustica beatcraft. again, it's easy to use and can do the job.

Archived