Any difference in quality between 2008/2009 and 2010 Classc Vibe Strats?

ILikeGuitar

• Members

Wondering because I saw a 50's CV Strat on the Sweetwater site that looked like it didn't have a quartersawn neck like the others and it was made in 2010. Fretwork is pretty important so hopefully they haven't changed attention to detail on that...Also the 2010 60's seem to have more fretboard dye (assuming it's dyed.. looks too dark) I'm lookin to buy both so I was wondering if it matters if I go used and look for an old one or I can just go online and order new.

• Members

If any of them are quartersawn, it was probably unintentional... just came out that way. They definitely don't all have purposely quartersawn necks.

Having said that, they don;t seem to have dropped off in quality though I've only played a couple recent ones. I'd still say for a widely available, brand new guitar that can be bought at a brick and mortar shop, you'd be hard pressed to find a better traditional strat value than the Classic Vibes, esp the 50s.

• Members

If any of them are quartersawn, it was probably unintentional... just came out that way. They definitely don't all have purposely quartersawn necks.

Having said that, they don;t seem to have dropped off in quality though I've only played a couple recent ones. I'd still say for a widely available, brand new guitar that can be bought at a brick and mortar shop, you'd be hard pressed to find a better traditional strat value than the Classic Vibes, esp the 50s.

For some reason a lot of the earlier ones did. Not so much on the post 08/09 ones, but I remember when they came out almost every single one I saw had one. I hate I had to sell the 4 I had :(

• Members

What does a quartersawn neck look like?

Just tried to find an example on Warmoth but didn't see one.

Basically if you lay the neck down flat all of the wood grain goes vertical. This makes the neck stronger than crap. For this reason, they are generally desirable and command higher price points than most necks, sans any configuring like Birdseye or Flame.

Here's an example...

vms3833B.jpg

• Members

I had a 2008 Tele and a 2008 Strat. The Tele definitely wasn't quartersawn. The strat was sort of half way quartersawn...

Would that make it eighthsawn?

:lol:

Basically, that wouldn't be a deal breaker at all for me. If the neck feels good, I'm good to go. I've had about three necks that were obviously quartersawn and I have three strats right now that are not quartersawn and I am much happier with them than any of the previous guitars.

Archived