Epiphone Les Paul, is it worth replacing the pickups ?

Iplayloud

• Members

I'm not as much of an Epi expert as some here, but one thing I might suggest from my observations is to consider upgrading the neck pickup and leaving the bridge stock. Typically Epi pickups are characterized as being a bit "muddy" and where that quality may not be endearing in a neck pickup, it can make for a great warm full bridge tone.

Example, I love the tone of my Epiphone Korina V stock. Wouldn't mind a little more vibe from the neck, but love the bluesy tone of that guitar.

• Members

I have two Epi LP's with BG's in them. I wouldn't say BG pups are just as expensive as Duncan or Dimarzio because that is not really a fair statement. What you are getting with BG is a custom hand wound pickup in same price range as Duncan or Dimarzio, sometimes even less expensive. Think about this - Custom Handwound Pickups on par with the other Custom Winders out there, i.e. Fralin, Lollar, WCR, Vintage Vibe, Klein, Duffy, etc. for the same price point as the mainstream off the shelf brands. It's a no brainer to order from Bryan. As Tom Petty said, "The Waiting is the Hardest Part"...
:o

Oh, I agree that for custom pups, he's got great prices. I just would not put them in the cheap/inexpensive category.

• Members

I have two Epi LP's with BG's in them. I wouldn't say BG pups are just as expensive as Duncan or Dimarzio because that is not really a fair statement. What you are getting with BG is a custom hand wound pickup in same price range as Duncan or Dimarzio, sometimes even less expensive. Think about this - Custom Handwound Pickups on par with the other Custom Winders out there, i.e. Fralin, Lollar, WCR, Vintage Vibe, Klein, Duffy, etc. for the same price point as the mainstream off the shelf brands. It's a no brainer to order from Bryan. As Tom Petty said, "The Waiting is the Hardest Part"...
:o

And what the fuck exactly is a custom handwound pickup? Something that costs 10$ in material and some hours of labour? Yep tha man has got to make a living and he may get those products suited to one's "dream" but it still is a product.

My favourite pickup is lundgren. It is a swedish brand and charges 150 euros per pickup. I won't buy them new, the sound is by far the best "for me" but it doesn't worth it. The differences to similar pickups don't worth it. If found used then yeah ok. If I was a pro with a budget then sure, even though I am a cheap ass bastard enough to look used first.

But no way to justify super expensive pickups as a product. As if they aren't variations of them from the beginning, it is not art or something.

• Members

And what the fuck exactly is a custom handwound pickup? Something that costs 10$ in material and some hours of labour? Yep tha man has got to make a living and he may get those products suited to one's "dream" but it still is a product.

My favourite pickup is lundgren. It is a swedish brand and charges 150 euros per pickup. I won't buy them new, the sound is by far the best "for me" but it doesn't worth it. The differences to similar pickups don't worth it. If found used then yeah ok. If I was a pro with a budget then sure, even though I am a cheap ass bastard enough to look used first.

But no way to justify super expensive pickups as a product. As if they aren't variations of them from the beginning, it is not art or something.

:facepalm:

A custom handwound pickup is a pickup made to the customer's specifications by a craftsman pickup winder such as BG, Lindy Fralin, Jason Lollar, Pete Biltoft, Owen Duffy, etc. The mainstream brand names you find in the stores are not custom wounds, they are mass produced. there are folks who spend two and three times what BG charges to get pickups from Lollar or WCR and I honestly don't believe they are getting any more value for their money than if they had gotten them from BG. That's my opinion at least...:o

Archived