Why Is My Epiphone Les Paul Studio...

Johnny Two Tone

• Members

...the best sounding guitar I own?

My Epi LP Studio was (is) my very first electric guitar. After a while I changed the nut and saddles to Graphtech stuff and changed the pickups to an SD '59 in the neck and an SD Distortion in the bridge and GOD DAMN it's the best sounding guitar I own! The tone is so thick but defined.

When you consider that the Epi LP Studio costs, like, 300 dollars and those two PUPs are a 130 dollar upgrade it's surprising that the sound is better than both $1500+ other guitar I own (and that's with upgraded pups in both guitars, including a BK pup in my JP6). Of course my other guitar play a million times better...

Also, this Studio is of that short period where Epiphone was making the guitar with a slim body - not the thick body type they used before and after.

• Members

my 96 epi les paul studio is also my best sounding guitar, those korean made ones are really awesome sounding aslong as you upgrade the hardware and stuff.
i put emg 81/85 active pickups in mine @ 18 volts
sperzel locking tuners and a tonepros locking tune-o-matic bridge
this thing destroys my schecter c-1 plus w/ emg 81/60 @ 18v
aswell as my esp ltd kh-603
something about the wood they used in the mid 90's, some of their guitars are just magic! some are horrible too though, id say 3 out of 10 epi's from the mid to late 90's are great sounding

• Members

My Epi LP Studio was (is) my very first electric guitar. After a while I changed the nut and saddles to Graphtech stuff and
changed the pickups to an SD '59 in the neck and an SD Distortion in the bridge
and GOD DAMN it's the best sounding guitar I own! The tone is so thick but defined.

When you consider that the Epi LP Studio costs, like, 300 dollars and those two PUPs are a 130 dollar upgrade it's surprising that the sound is better than both $1500+ other guitar I own (and that's with upgraded pups in both guitars, including a BK pup in my JP6). Of course my other guitar play a million times better...

Also, this Studio is of that short period where Epiphone was making the guitar with a slim body - not the thick body type they used before and after.

You answered your own question.

90% of a guitar's sound is the pickups.

If you swapped out the pickups on your $1,500 guitars I bet they would be back in the running in the sound dept. Money doesn't really buy you sound.

It buys you build quality, playability, durability, exotic woods inlays and finish.

You buy pickups for sound.

• Members

My Epi LP Studio (upgraded with JB and 59) is one of the best sounding and playing guitars I own. If only it did not have the thick candy-coating of Poly, I think it would hang with any of my Gibsons.

...that doesn't stick in your hands like nitro?

Damn poly vs nitro snobbery. I bet you'd hate PRS and other high end manufacturers who use poly. Plus fender. You might loathe that one.

• Members

...that doesn't stick in your hands like nitro?

Damn poly vs nitro snobbery. I bet you'd hate PRS and other high end manufacturers who use poly. Plus fender. You might loathe that one.

I am not a snob of any kind. I actually only have 2 guitars with nitro finishes (both Gibson LPs) and I actually have a number of very nice guitars that have poly finishes. I do, however, like nitro finishes and would much prefer that my Epi had a thin nitro finish instead of the 1/8-inch thick hard shell around it. One day I might find the time to strip it.

Also, to your later point, well cured nitro does not stick to your hands. I actually find thick poly on necks harder to slide on than nitro (my personal preference for necks is practically no finish at all/tung oil).

Feel free to go on thinking there is no difference, but there is a reason the best guitars by the best manufacturers (yes, even those by PRS and Fender) are finished in nitrocellulose.

• Members

My Epi LP Studio was (is) my very first electric guitar. After a while I changed the nut and saddles to Graphtech stuff and changed the pickups to an SD '59 in the neck and an SD Distortion in the bridge and GOD DAMN it's the best sounding guitar I own! The tone is so thick but defined.

Because after you changed the hardware and electronics out, the only thing left was the wood and finish... about 0.00000000000001% of the guitar's sound.

Congrats on having a guitar you enjoy so much.
:thu:

Archived