Cheaper alternative to an ES339?

ARguitars

• Members

I currently have a Hofner Verythin Standard, and I love the sounds I can get out of it, but its bulk is enough of a problem for me to want to change guitars...

So I was wondering if there were any smaller-sized semi-hollows out there, similar to an ES339, but for under 1000$?

• Members

The ES339 is an amazing guitar. It took me awhile to warm up to mine, but I had the same issue with my 335. They are really stiff and tightassed sounding when they are new. Once broken in, you get that really sweet semi tone rich in harmonics and extremely complex mids. Luscious!

The only thing that I can think of for less than a grand would be something like the Ibanez Artcore line or this happenin' PRS SE Custom Semi ($699):

539223.jpg

I have one of these Fender Thinlines and it's a terrific player with plenty of attitude. Don't believe the naysayers when it comes to the pickups. They are very good sounding with plenty of brightness, but the CTS pots work great to tame them when needed. Excellent choice, but play one first to see if it gives you enough hollow tones.

626263.jpg

There is also Hagstrom, Italia, and this bitchin' ESP Paramount which oozes quality construction and parts:

273067.jpg

You're gonna hate me but I got my 339 brand new for $1200 during MF's Labor Day Sale in 2009. It was marked as a scratch and dent because the silk screening on the case was not even. pffffffft:-0 Who gives a crap about what the case looks like.

4.jpg

• Members

The ES339 is an amazing guitar. It took me awhile to warm up to mine, but I had the same issue with my 335. They are really stiff and tightassed sounding when they are new. Once broken in, you get that really sweet semi tone rich in harmonics and extremely complex mids. Luscious!

The only thing that I can think of for less than a grand would be something like the Ibanez Artcore line or this happenin' PRS SE Custom Semi ($699):

539223.jpg

I have one of these Fender Thinlines and it's a terrific player with plenty of attitude. Don't believe the naysayers when it comes to the pickups. They are very good sounding with plenty of brightness, but the CTS pots work great to tame them when needed. Excellent choice, but play one first to see if it gives you enough hollow tones.

626263.jpg

There is also Hagstrom, Italia, and this bitchin' ESP Paramount which oozes quality construction and parts:

273067.jpg

You're gonna hate me but I got my 339 brand new for $1200 during MF's Labor Day Sale in 2009. It was marked as a scratch and dent because the silk screening on the case was not even. pffffffft:-0 Who gives a crap about what the case looks like.

4.jpg

WOW ! What a pretty, classic looking Guitar.

Kind of a baby cherry red 335 from the 60s look.

Is it Fat and Warm ? And do they have the same Medium Jumbo Frets like on the Les Paul Supreme ?

• Members

The Ibanez is a AM73. I have one. It's a fantastic guitar. I'm not sure it's made anymore. But you may be able to find a used one. I'm not a big fan of the stock pickups. I put in a set of BG Pure 90s.

I Liked my AM73, But LOVE this one. Turser JT-134 DC. DC'ed many years ago and hard to find, but worth the search. This is one of the few models MIK.

DSCN1448.jpg

• Members

I Liked my AM73, But LOVE this one. Turser JT-134 DC. DC'ed many years ago and hard to find, but worth the search. This is one of the few models MIK.

DSCN1448.jpg

Very nice guitars but yes, nearly impossible to find. I'd buy one in a heartbeat to mod to my hearts content but I'll never find one locally in Mexico.

:cry:

• Members

It might be hard to find, but I'd look for a used Heritage Prospect in the low-$1000 area. It's a 335 size that's tad thinner and has a narrower waist. Some are floating center block and some are solid center block. A friend of mine has one and I considered one but ended up going for a full-size. They sound killer, I'd actually take one over a 339 any day.

Archived