I Have Sonar X1 Up and Running Here...

Anderton

• Members

Something sounds wrong here. My computer is from 2009 and no problems. Are you running Windows 7? I tried it with Vista and wasn't particularly happy. Then again, most programs don't seem happy with Vista...and I do think if you're on XP, it's time to move on.

Thanks for the help and the offer of further assistance.

I am running XP still. I'm not sure if I will try changing the system or just go back to the older version which worked well. I have resolved to spend less time configuring my system and more time playing music and recording. (I have already lost several years of my life trying to get computers to behave)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for the help and the offer of further assistance.

I am running XP still. I'm not sure if I will try changing the system or just go back to the older version which worked well. I have resolved to spend less time configuring my system and more time playing music and recording. (I have already lost several years of my life trying to get computers to behave)

XP is what, ten years old? A lot of new programs (e.g., Pro Tools 9, Cubase 6, Wavelab 7) specify that they require Windows 7. Unfortunately you can't upgrade directly from XP to W7 so that's a problem for you, I'm sure. But if it lasts me another 10 years, I can cope...it's worth it for the improved performance.

• Members

(I have already lost several years of my life trying to get computers to behave)

Me too man, and as much as i know Craig is a major trooper on this, and for some people's usage X1 does work, i can tell you for me, what i do with it, the program is not ready yet. Because of the very reason you stated above I and many others, it seems, are sticking with 8.53 for a while.

I'm Not knocking X1, it has some cool stuff in it, but for gods sake i wish they'd stop releasing "upgrades" which are "down grades" in basic functionality.

Marketing nonsense.

I have to represent the truth on this matter, it's frustrating. I'll support the company and buy the upgrades, no problem, i dig the product, they need their dough to keep going, but i strongly disagree with their approach/order of releasing this stuff. It's like being married to a really hot drug addict.

• Members
Me too man, and as much as i know Craig is a major trooper on this, and for some people's usage X1 does work, i can tell you for me, what i do with it, the program is not ready yet. Because of the very reason you stated above I and many others, it seems, are sticking with 8.53 for a while.

I'm Not knocking X1, it has some cool stuff in it, but for gods sake i wish they'd stop releasing "upgrades" which are "down grades" in basic functionality.

Marketing nonsense.

I have to represent the truth on this matter, it's frustrating. I'll support the company and buy the upgrades, no problem, i dig the product, they need their dough to keep going, but i strongly disagree with their approach/order of releasing this stuff. It's like being married to a really hot drug addict.

They were doing really well with their HOTFIXES, but the last one was a month ago.

I'm anxiously awaiting for them to fix a problem in the Staff View which was working in earlier versions of X1 (changing note durations with keyboard shortcuts as well as with the Tool HUD). :mad:

The irony is that they've actually taken a step backward in what many consider to be a barely adequate staff editor. :facepalm:

• Members

They were doing really well with their HOTFIXES, but the last one was a month ago.

I'm anxiously awaiting for them to fix a problem in the Staff View which was working in earlier versions of X1 (changing note durations with keyboard shortcuts as well as with the Tool HUD).
:mad:

The irony is that they've actually taken a step backward in what many consider to be a barely adequate staff editor.
:facepalm:

+1000! Also they have been known for giving the user choices to customize for the way they work. Now they've turned 180 degrees and taken away choice. And don't even get me started on the staff view:facepalm:

• Members

Y'know, speaking of stability...I have no doubt y'all are experiencing problems, but that's just not happening here :idk: BUT...in another Windows thread, there was mention of changing priority from Programs to Background Services as a way to "improve" performance. As soon as I did that, I got three Sonar crashes in the space of a few hours, whereas I'd been going for weeks without any. As soon as I changed priority back to Programs, no more crashes.

Not saying that's necessarily your problem, but it did drive home to me how one check in the wrong box can ruin your evening...

By the way, about "keeping up with the Joneses" and computers. Frankly, it's not something I enjoy; it's part of my gig. If a manufacturer says something requires W7, I can't very well review it and write "Well, this program doesn't work, but then again, I didn't follow the manufacturer's recommended system." Thankfully, my PC Audio Labs computer has a removable system drive. So, I have an XP drive I can fall back on, as well as a Vista drive that I hardly ever use any more, and Windows 7. For the Mac, I have Intel quad core but still have a PPC although it's currently living in the same kind of limbo as my Vista drive.

When I loaded Vista, I used XP 80% of the time, and Vista only for Sonar 64 and Vegas 64. Since installing Windows 7 64-bit. I use it 90% of the time; sometimes, I dip back into XP to use some older programs. Overall, although I waited a while to upgrade to W7, I'm really glad I did. Should have done it sooner.

The few times I've had to go back to XP, where I have 8.5 installed but not X1, I'm reminded of why I like X1. It was definintely released before it was ready, but thinking about it I realized that I spend so much time with pre-release programs that the dividing line most consumers experience between "program not released" and "program released" kind of blurs with me. I had a pretty early version of X1, and if you think the shipping version was bad... :facepalm:. But, I also saw the arc of improvements that happened in the 90 days or so before it came out, so I figured if the same arc continued for 90 days after it was released, it was worth sticking with. As it turned out, it pretty much has. There are still some things that bug me - bounce a clip from stereo to mono, and Sonar doesn't cut levels before adding them together - guaranteed distortion if the levels are close to 0. So, I dutifully noremalize down -6dB before bouncing, and send another email to Cakewalk saying "Hey, that bounce thing still isn't fixed..."

• Members

Coincidentally, QuickFix 255 was released today, and among other things, I believe my staff view issue has been resolved!!!

While the staff view is nowhere near perfect, I appreciate the fact that it now at least as good as it was in 8.5.3 (with the help of the SonarPlus add-on), and this is enough of a goodwill gesture to motivate me to upgrade to X1. I welcomed the new UI and workflow of X1 - I was just waiting for stability and the staff view fix.

"Issues addressed in QuickFix Build 255:

CWBRN-5254, 5236, 5215, 5311, 5312: Resolved an issue where when selecting MIDI inputs would not select the correct port in certain situations
CWBRN-4455: In the Staff View, the correct note duration is now entered when using the note duration shortcuts to switch between values.
CWBRN-4037, 4390: Resolved an issue where Track Interleave settings would change when toggling Input Echo or opening a project containing echoed tracks.
CWBRN-5210, 5296: Some audio devices which change the number of inputs and outputs based on the selected sample rate would require a restart of the application before they would work when a project at different the sample rate was loaded. SONAR now detects and dynamically changes the number of ports in response to sample rate changes.
CWBRN-5294: Resolved an issue where hiding the ProChannel module in the Console View would not hide the ProChannel GUI if shown/expanded.
CWBRN-4046, 5295: The context menu for inserting a Send from the Track Inspector now displays correctly when inserting a second send.
CWBRN-4047: Resolved an issue where dragging plug-ins from the plug-in browser could crash or hang SONAR under rare circumstances. "

• Members

Cool, that took care of two of my major complaints - the selecting MIDI inputs and Track Interleave issues.

I think it's much smarter for Cakewalk to release these periodic quick fixes than bundling them all together and waiting months. :thu:

Archived