Mesa Boogie Transatlantic TA-15 - Talk me out of it

nuke_diver

• Members

Saw a video of a Mesa guy playing the Transatlantic and it sounded thin.

But if you guys that have played them live or own one say this is NOT the case - I'll believe you.

Can it do the REALLY THICK tones like Timmons gets from the Lonestar or something approaching that?

How does it compare to the Express 5-25 ? Better worse, Fatter thinner etc?

• Members

I'd love one of those lunchbox amps for portability's sake. I like the Transatlantic because you can switch channels on it too, unlike the Egnater Tweaker or the Vox lunchbox amp which name escapes me at the moment.

• Members

That's what has me right now the 2 channels as compare to the Tweater or the Nightrain ;). And it sounded very good too. There is really no advantage for me to get one of the other lunchbox amps (or any other single channel amp) since I'm ok with what I have now.

robertkoa I can't post Utube videos from work but I would ignore the ones at Namm and look at those posted from Sweetwater or Anderson music store since those were done in a studio and not with a little Camcorder mic. I thought they sounded a lot better and were the videos that really first got me interested in the TA-15

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I've been pondering one of those myself, but it's a tad pricier than I can really spend,.

I've also been looking at the Blackstar HT-20 Head and the Tweaker.

The HT-20 has two channels, an effects loop and reverb (digital, but it's there if you need it).

• Members

Though I don't need an amp...mine is fine actually, I find this very intriguing.

Mesa/Boogie TransAtlantic TA-15 Guitar Amp Head Features at a Glance:

Multi-Watt Channel-assignable Power Amp

Duo-Class and Dyna-Watt technologies

Three channel-assignable power and operating class options

Independent 5/15/25-watt Power Switches

Fixed Bias for consistent, maintenance free performance

2 Fully Independent Channels with 5 Style Modes

Best of British and American Tones from a Single Amp

No Reverb or effect loop but I don't have a effect loop now and I'm not a big reverb guy

I would need a cab or maybe can use the Crate as a cab
:idea:

I am expecting a bonus next month so I'd have some cash and I've never gotten a really good piece of equipment other than Bryan's Pickups. It's small so wouldn't upset the wife too much and I play my friends Lone Star when we jam and it's lovely. This is about $900
:eek:
but since it's a bonus it's not like I'm blowing a paycheque on this...it's almost like it's free
:cool:

I just checked with the local story and they have them....and my birthday is coming up
:thu:

or would I just be wasting money with my limited talent and such good equipment :poke:

Just because they are available in your area is no reason the blow your money on one. Try it out and listen for the tones it gives you. You might think about looking into a different amp.

I would not touch one since it has no effects loop. If it has more then one channel but does not offer channel switching, forget it.

There are other options in small tube amps that offer features I would prefer. Only if the tone was so good that you could not get over it, should it then be a consideration, if you could live without the channel switching and no loop.

It's not like you need an amp. Don't piss away your money on an emotional impulse buy. $900 is not a small sum of money no matter how you got it.

If you are set on spending the money, the suggestion above looking into a channel switching low wattage Mesa would offer you a lot more amp for only a little more money is a better buy, imo.

There are a lot of potentially good amps to be had for your price range. Don't impulse buy just to buy something. Besides, Christmas is not that far away, so there should be deals to be had. AND, the NAMM is not that far off either. Mesa may offer a more advanced version of the Trans-Atlantic with a loop or foot switchable channels, or another company offering small amps might be at the NAMM that you might prefer! Be patient.

• Members

I have the Tweaker. Picked one up for $319 through Musicians Friend using a 20% off coupon. I wish it was 2 channel. I think it sounds awesome.

$900 bones is a LOT to spend for 15 watts!

But if it is what you want... then why not. You need to be the one happy and excited... not us!!

Yours is made in china, the finish is not on par with mesa products (although I am not really fond of the Transatlantic style) some things that I am not mentioning as parts of inferiority but they do reflect the cost. Plus thing of how much a budda or even a suhr badger cost and for me budda is not "boutique" on quality neither production wise.

• Members

Small, 15-20 well-made good sounding amps are the way forwards. Everyone should have one.

I'd only need anything bigger if I was playing regular outdoor gigs.

You should definitely spend your bonus on such an amp. Never played the Mesa, but if you think it's the one for you, why not??!?

• Members

Boy what brought this back???

I got one over a month ago and completely love it, bought it used so didn't spend $900 and yet the one I got is brand new as near as I can tell (floor model maybe :idk:)

The lack of effects loop is not a issue for me neither is no reverb (I never really used much in the past). I use some chorus/delay but only on the clean channel and in that regard it's the same as my previous amp (single channel). Channel switching is done via a foot switch and since I got the amp I have rarely used my distortion pedal since the ht1/2 settings cover almost the same ground. I still use my OD when I want clean -> OD on the same channel.

It wasn't an emotional buy, I did play one and loved it and have been very happy with the decision to buy one. I didn't take money out of my kids mouths to get it (since I have no kids :D). I'll never be at the NAMM so I can only try what I can find around here. I wanted to try a Tweaker but I never found one locally so I got what I had tried and what I really liked.

oh and the neon lights..yeah I can see why some folks don't like them but one thing is for sure...you will never leave the amp on overnight accidently (yes I have with the V18:facepalm:)

Now the next decision (if there is another quarterly bonus) is whether to get a new (better) cab or stick with using the V18 as I am now. I suspect a properly made one would be better so I've been cruising Ebay and CL looking for a deal :D

• Members

Talk you out of it?

Let you forget about it?

Hell no! I want you to buy it and give us a FULL review!

I have a 52RI Hotrod Tele I'd trade for one of those and a a 25 watt greenback. I'd even pay for shipping on everything, which is a fair chunk of change since I'm located out of the USA. There isn't 1... not even 1 Transatlantic in all of Mexico.

:cry:

• Members

I did get it...that thread was here

HNAD

I'm not the best person to give a review because my playing skills are not the best and nor do I have the greatest ear. My V18 sounded fine to me but the Mesa is MUCH better. I'm a particularly big fan of Ch1 Boost (Voxish AC15TB type sound) and the Ch2 HT1 (Marshallish sound). The cleans on the Ch1 side are so much better than anything I had prior and the ch2 side, especially HT1/2 are dirty enough for anything I play. I do use the 15w setting at home but carefully (and usually when no one is home). Both the Tweed (CH2) and CH1 Normal are much quieter than the other settings and are better on the 15w side than the 5w side. The HT1/2 are particularly loud even on the 5W setting

Archived