Mesa Boogie Transatlantic TA-15 - Talk me out of it

nuke_diver

• Members

Though I don't need an amp...mine is fine actually, I find this very intriguing.

Mesa/Boogie TransAtlantic TA-15 Guitar Amp Head Features at a Glance:

Multi-Watt Channel-assignable Power Amp

Duo-Class and Dyna-Watt technologies

Three channel-assignable power and operating class options

Independent 5/15/25-watt Power Switches

Fixed Bias for consistent, maintenance free performance

2 Fully Independent Channels with 5 Style Modes

Best of British and American Tones from a Single Amp

No Reverb or effect loop but I don't have a effect loop now and I'm not a big reverb guy

I would need a cab or maybe can use the Crate as a cab :idea:

I am expecting a bonus next month so I'd have some cash and I've never gotten a really good piece of equipment other than Bryan's Pickups. It's small so wouldn't upset the wife too much and I play my friends Lone Star when we jam and it's lovely. This is about $900 :eek: but since it's a bonus it's not like I'm blowing a paycheque on this...it's almost like it's free :cool:

I just checked with the local story and they have them....and my birthday is coming up :thu:

or would I just be wasting money with my limited talent and such good equipment :poke:

• Members

I was in Sam Ash today and a guy there was demo'ing the Vox head and it sounded awesome.

Not knocking the Vox at all. I've played with the Vox too, and really liked it--I almost bought one :thu: From playing both, I could get a much wider range of tones through the TA. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a Mesa fanboy. To me, the $900 seems a reasonable price for a flexible amp that will probably be every bit as reliable as the other Mesa amps I own.

• Members

That was a bit of my thinking, the Vox is not a 2 channel right? This is one of the things that I find most appealing.

If I'm lucky I'll get to the local store this weekend and get a chance to demo one or both of these

• Members

the Blackstar HT-5 is 5 watt only and while I don't gig I do have delusions but that isn't the real reason why I haven't considered it, it's because I've never seen one around here and I don't want to spend $$ without trying the amp, the TA-15 I can try out

You want it, and you can afford it. What more reason do you need?

Well I don't need it and I'm more of a need vs want guy my crate works quite well for me but I can afford it and the versatility of the TA seems really good. I may go and test it out and come back with the, I like what I have result (happened with my MIM strat when I tried it verse a US deluxe :eek:)

Not tomorrow...Band practice all afternoon but maybe sunday or monday I'll go try and check out one...then we'll see if the GAS goes up or down :D

• Members

If the multi channel part of it is not critical you might want to consider an Egnater Tweaker. Big range of sounds and it's so much less expensive you could afford a nice 1x12 cab and still come in lower than the mesa.

Though in the end I cannot knock the mesa at all, always excellent gear and a very sound choice.

• Members

I have the Tweaker. Picked one up for $319 through Musicians Friend using a 20% off coupon. I wish it was 2 channel. I think it sounds awesome.

$900 bones is a LOT to spend for 15 watts!

But if it is what you want... then why not. You need to be the one happy and excited... not us!!

• Members

Well just got back from the music store and the want is approaching need :eek:

Wow what great little amp. So many sweet tones I was able to get out of it. I played a road worn strat and had about 45 min or so of messing around with it. I didn't get a bad sound out if it. While some of the sounds are somewhat similar (sometimes one clean sound sounds a lot like another) I could see using it all. No I didn't buy it on the spot. It is a lot of $$ and the bonus won't be until next month probably. It will work very well as a bedroom amp but is plenty loud enough if you want to crank it up on the 25 watt setting, and I was only playing through a 1x10 cab.

I don't think I've ever played that well at a music store so maybe it will make me a better player :D

• Members

Well- I believe you guys that have played one and say it sounds great but there was a video of the amp with a Mesa Guy demoing it and it was kinda thin sounding on the video.

Was this a nice big ,fat amp- not thru the 1-10 but through a 2-12 or 4-12 ?

• Members

Well- I believe you guys that have played one and say it sounds great but there was a video of the amp with a Mesa Guy demoing it and it was kinda thin sounding on the video.

Was this a nice big ,fat amp- not thru the 1-10 but through a 2-12 or 4-12 ?

That was the one from the NAMM floor? It's where I first heard it (live). There is so much noise going on around that you can't use that audio as a reference.

• Members

Yeah those NAMM videos are worth much, the Sweetwater and Anderson ones are better for the sound but everything on utube is going to be compressed.

While I'm a bit nervous about the price for what you get physically (it's pretty tiny), it does sound great and the major complaints I've seen about it (generally with respect to the price vs feature (ie no effects loop)) seem to be from the high gain guys and I'm not that much of a high gain guy. I'd like to pick one up used to get it a bit cheaper. Mesa has a good reputation for making quality products so used shouldn't be a problem but they are recent additions to the line so I suspect there won't be many for a while

Last time I gassed like this for something it was the Reverend and I bought that so :idk:

Archived