Flatwounds on a Telecaster,good idea?

KATMAN

• Members

Years ago I knew a guy that had a 1951 Fender Equire.He had heavy flatwound strings on it.At the time,I was only a beginner and played with the ligtest strings possible,mostly because I was learning to bend and stuff.Now,nearly three decades later I find myself toying with the idea of playing a jazz style with a piano.I have a Squire Telecaster,Standard series,and a Fender Strat.The Telecaster has always the backup and I hardly ever play it.I loved the old guitar looks,with the blacken finger marks 0n the maple fretboard.Mine won't ever look like that,since it has a rosewood fretboard.But I still like the idea of it.Anybody ever try flatwounds on a Tele?

• Members

Go for it. That's what the Tele sound was originally designed for.

Actually the Tele was intended to have a twangy sound for country artists,if I remember right. The Les Paul was intended for jazz,since that's what Les Paul played.Either guitar would work I guess.

• Members

Years ago I knew a guy that had a 1951 Fender Equire.He had heavy flatwound strings on it.At the time,I was only a beginner and played with the ligtest strings possible,mostly because I was learning to bend and stuff.Now,nearly three decades later I find myself toying with the idea of playing a jazz style with a piano.I have a Squire Telecaster,Standard series,and a Fender Strat.The Telecaster has always the backup and I hardly ever play it.I loved the old guitar looks,with the blacken finger marks 0n the maple fretboard.Mine won't ever look like that,since it has a rosewood fretboard.But I still like the idea of it.Anybody ever try flatwounds on a Tele?

It worked for Luther Perkins :thu:

• Members

As Uma said, there's a long history of it. Check out this video (Kenny Vaughan of the Fabulous Superlatives) talking about flat wounds on Tele's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHNAY6mvFdc?fs=1&hl=en_US

Some time ago I bought some after watching this video and reading other threads elsewhere and if I knew where I put them I could tell you how I liked them on a Tele!

Greg

• Members

Actually the Tele was intended to have a twangy sound for country artists,if I remember right. The Les Paul was intended for jazz,since that's what Les Paul played.Either guitar would work I guess.

Actually it was used for bass lines. Untill the electric bass came along.

Modern wiring kits in most teles now.

• Members

Now,nearly three decades later I find myself toying with the idea of playing a jazz style with a piano.

Anybody ever try flatwounds on a Tele?

I use them (D'Addario Chromes), they perfom well for my funk and jazz needs. I like the direct percussive sound.

The main advantage in a piano-driven jazz combo that these won't produce extra harmonic content which would often clash with those of the piano.

• Members

i played with flatwounds strings in my fender tele and my gibson sg.

i love those strings. i don' play jazz or anything - mostly alternative and indie rock stuff. they are very versatile, and sound great with distortion. of course, if you want steve vai sustain and crazy bends - look elsewhere. but they are so warm and "meaty" sounding.

Archived