Wiring strat pickups in parralel: no switch

BIGD

• Members

Sorry, not only did I spell it wrong but I screwed up what I'm trying to say.

I meant wiring strat pickups in series.

I'm probably one of the rare guys who plays a strat but never uses the 2 and 4 positions...."quack kills". :)

So, in the interest of having some more tones I'm interested, is there a way to hard wire my strat so that positions 2 and 4 are actually series just using the standard 5 way switch and pots? Or do you have to have a switch to pull this off?

• Members

If it were me I would turn my neck tone control into a master and wire the bridge pickup to the extra tone control making it a blend. Then you could dial in the bridge pickup along with the neck and mid in position 4. You could also select the neck pickup and blend in the bridge for a tele tone. No extra switches needed.

• Members

If it were me I would turn my neck tone control into a master and wire the bridge pickup to the extra tone control making it a blend. Then you could dial in the bridge pickup along with the neck and mid in position 4. You could also select the neck pickup and blend in the bridge for a tele tone. No extra switches needed.

That sounds like a pretty friggin cool idea!! Thanks.

• Members

Not sure about danbomb's method when it comes to having your pickups in-series. I'd ditch the 5 way and go with 3 on/off switches - something like Brian May's guitar but with no phase switches - giving you 7 options, including 4 in-series combinations. Your Strat will go from whimpy to beastly.

Or you can look here for some ideas. http://www.deaf-eddie.net/pushpull/pushpull.html

• Members

I'd manually wire the pickups in series and see if you like how your effects pedals and amp respond and sounds first. Tor impediance will be much higher and it can cause the settings on your effects pedals to drive differently and have a different graininess to the sound. If it was something people liked, more would wire them that way.

I like the three DPDT switches vs the 5 way on my one guitar. I have them set for forward phasing, off and reverse phasing and like the the tones I can get from the out of phase settings. Gives you alot a variety for recording.

• Members

I'd manually wire the pickups in series and see if you like how your effects pedals and amp respond and sounds first. Tor impediance will be much higher and it can cause the settings on your effects pedals to drive differently and have a different graininess to the sound. If it was something people liked, more would wire them that way.

I like the three DPDT switches vs the 5 way on my one guitar. I have them set for forward phasing, off and reverse phasing and like the the tones I can get from the out of phase settings. Gives you alot a variety for recording.

:thu: I like your switching setup. I just have my three switches wired in-series with normal phasing. 3 pickups at the same time is bloody awesome.

• Members

:thu:
I like your switching setup. I just have my three switches wired in-series with normal phasing. 3 pickups at the same time is bloody awesome.

Did you experience any of the impedance issues that WRGKMC mentioned?

• Members

Not sure about danbomb's method when it comes to having your pickups in-series. I'd ditch the 5 way and go with 3 on/off switches - something like Brian May's guitar but with no phase switches - giving you 7 options, including 4 in-series combinations. Your Strat will go from whimpy to beastly.

Or you can look here for some ideas.
http://www.deaf-eddie.net/pushpull/pushpull.html

I have the Dan Armstrong Superstrat Switching (google it) and I get 12 combinations with 3 switches, including 4 series options :thu:

• Members

Did you experience any of the impedance issues that WRGKMC mentioned?

Nothing detrimental. You'll get more volume, more lower mids and bottom end, and slightly less high end when running the pickups together in-series - and the quack will remain. It will just be a matter of minor shifting with the control knobs on any gear you have (mainly vol level and bass controls).

• Members

I have the Dan Armstrong Superstrat Switching (google it) and I get 12 combinations with 3 switches, including 4 series options
:thu:

I once entertained the idea of using that wiring. But I'd expect the 3 pickup combos, using any order of series/parallel connection, to sound only slightly different from each other, and basically the same if a mountain of distortion is being used. Besides, I'd get lost with all those switch positions LOL.

Archived