air travel w/guitar - carry on, gate check, or baggage check?

brandass

• Members

I'll soon be traveling a lot more than usual, and would like to bring along an electric w/headphones and/or mini amp. Can't be checking baggage, though, need to move fast.

Hohner G3T (http://www.hohnerusa.com/index.php?322) would be cool, but would need a case.

Any chance I could carry on or gate check something like that, assuming that I'm traveling with a small suitcase and a laptop? Or are the planes so tightly packed these days that I'd end up checking baggage?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

I've been able to carry on a full sized dreadnaught acoustic (flying Southwest Airlines) but it totally varies depending on the airline and flight occupancy most of the time.

As a potential option, why not get something with a bolt on neck such as a strat or tele? You could remove the neck while keeping it strung (just slack the strings) and pack it into most normal sized carry on bags I'd think.

• Members

I have mostly had to check guitars as baggage, it is up to the crew as to whether or not you can carry it on the plane.

It's not big of a deal though, I just put my Les Pauls in SKB cases and insure them for full replacement value. Never an issue on domestic or international flights spanning the last 20 years.

• Members

With Delta, I usually end up gate-checking my guitars. Their policy is to allow your instrument on board if it'll fit, but the only guitar/case I've ever gotten to fit in an overhead bin is my Peavey HP Custom, which is Wolfgang-small; I've heard some crews will let you store them in a coat closet of some kind, but I've never experienced it myself.

As far as gate-checking a guitar, it's no big deal. Pack it like you're going to ship it, and tape the case shut. Don't be an asshole when you hand it off to the thrower, and you should be fine.

Archived