PRS wammy bars

lincoln40

• Members

Do PRS wammy bars have a system that keeps them in tune, when you dive or go crazy with it? I noticed they dont have a locking nut or anything like a Floyd Rose. So I'm trying to figure out do they stay in tune, and if so, how did they find a system that stays in tune without a locknut. What is your experience with a PRS wammy bar. I only played their fixed bridges.

• Members

Paul Reed Smith figured out the major flaws in the stratocaster and discovered that the tuning problems were with the nut and machines. The way he kept the strings straight and used locking tuners solved these problems.

It's basically a Fender system and that says a lot for Leo too.

It doesn't complicate the string changing process either.

• Members

Paul Reed Smith figured out the major flaws in the stratocaster and discovered that the tuning problems were with the nut and machines. The way he kept the strings straight and used locking tuners solved these problems.

It's basically a Fender system and that says a lot for Leo too.

It doesn't complicate the string changing process either.

So basically he has a special slippery nut

• Members

The tuners have a lot to do with it because when the string is wrapped around the post, the wrap moves a bit with the whammy bar use and it may not come back to exactly where it was before. The locking tuners have no wrap so the string always remain tight to the post.

• Members

The bridge is designed so that the saddles can't move from side to side.

2000nos-color.jpg

Unlike Fender bridges, whether 2 or 6 post:

FP5091.jpg

Aha...I see that. The saddles bookshelved in between two ends there, for better string stability. Plus with a slippery nut and locking tuners so now I can see how it stays in tune. I wonder if the PRS system will make the Floyd Rose obsolete.

• Members

Aha...I see that. The saddles bookshelved in between two ends there, for better string stability. Plus with a slippery nut and locking tuners so now I can see how it stays in tune.
I wonder if the PRS system will make the Floyd Rose obsolete.

Do you actually think before you speak? :rolleyes:

• Members

I wonder if the PRS system will make the Floyd Rose obsolete.

As far as non-locking trems go, PRS is certainly one of the best, but the Floyd Rose has way more range and still holds tune better than any non-locking trem I've ever encountered.

So no, I don't think Floyd Rose has anything at all to fear.

• Members

The effect of the locking tuners is exaggerated. They don't do anything even remotely similar to a locking nut.

The PRS trem stays in tune will because it was thought out.

It's 6-screw holes are milled down into a knife edge, like a Floyd Rose, Wilkinson or other 2-post design uses. That knife edge sits in a little indention in the screw and doesn't travel.

Most people follow advice that says to back the middle four screws up to the point where they are barely touching the knife edge, and let the out screws do the heavy lifting. That's how it functions similar to a 2-post design, but it's not exactly how it was designed to be used.

The knife edge,; the tight-fit saddles; the way it orientated to the neck; etc. all help.

But ultimately it's just a floating, non-locking trem. It's Leo's trem with a little more labor put into it. It will NOT out perform a Floyd rose, NOT even close, but it is my favorite floating trem by far, and it avoids the after setup time for string and locking the FR. I would say it's performance is on par with a Wilkinson.

• Members

The effect of the locking tuners is exaggerated. They don't do anything even remotely similar to a locking nut.

The PRS trem stays in tune will because it was thought out.

It's 6-screw holes are milled down into a knife edge, like a Floyd Rose, Wilkinson or other 2-post design uses. That knife edge sits in a little indention in the screw and doesn't travel.

Most people follow advice that says to back the middle four screws up to the point where they are barely touching the knife edge, and let the out screws do the heavy lifting. That's how it functions similar to a 2-post design, but it's not exactly how it was designed to be used.

The knife edge,; the tight-fit saddles; the way it orientated to the neck; etc. all help.

But ultimately it's just a floating, non-locking trem. It's Leo's trem with a little more labor put into it. It will NOT out perform a Floyd rose, NOT even close, but it is my favorite floating trem by far, and it avoids the after setup time for string and locking the FR. I would say it's performance is on par with a Wilkinson.

I agree with this. Locking tuners don't do much for trem stability, and while the PRS is decent, it will go out of tune, and Floyds just don't.

Archived