I'm doing some slight restoration and need a couple bits of advice... (parts content)

notjonahbutnoah

• Members

I have come into just a touch of money. I am gonna use a little bit to restore two instuments that are missing a couple bits, and sitting bored and alone in their cases at my house.

Here's the first:

bec74673.jpg

This is a Fender Mark Hoppus P Bass. That's a stock MIM strat pickup held in with exterior mountig tape (sticky on both sides). I bought it new in... oh... 03? I was in the 10th grade. It has been through a lot, as you can see. Without the gory details you can see everything it needs in this picture.

-Pickguard (probably gonna get this from basspartsresource because it's unique and they have em)

-Pickups

-Pot

-Knob

-Jack

Everything else about this thing is in great shape. Still has killer action and that MIM strat pickup sounds just like a 51 style, when you play it through a Mesa Basis M-2000 at least :).

So where would you go to order everything besides the pickguard? MF? Sweetwater? Someplace else? One stoppin' it online makes keeping track of packages much simpler..

Also has anyone heard anything about those DiMarzio rail P Bass pickups??? The MF descrption sounds like exactly what I want.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP127-Split-P-Replacement-Pickup-for-Fender-P-Bass?sku=302265

Also, what sort of pot should I use, 1K maybe? How about a good quality jack? Recommendations?

Ok, the 2nd instrument is the strat in my sig, pictured here:

2010-02-16191041.jpg

This one needs a bridge pickup. I had been running it with 5 springs, claw screwed way in, no vibrato bar, an SD Alt 8 bucker (about 18k), and using it for rock. Now that I have an LP, I want to make it a surfin' bird. My only specs for pickups are that it has to be chrome/nickel covered and also sound surfy, oh and fit a standard HB rout. Preferably in the $100 range, give or take. Recommendations?

I'm also gonna take out a couple springs and bring out that vibe bar again. Surfs up!

Ok, thanks in advance, all answers appreciated!!!!!! :wave:

• Members

I'd think something PAFie (low output) for the strat...Seth Lovers and 57 Classics tend to be fairly bright, which is what I think of when I think surf...bright and clean. Maybe a push pull pot for coil splitting.

As for the bits for the bass....mojotone.com should have all you need, takes paypal and ships pretty quick. Dunno on pot value...what'd Fender use stock?

• Members

Thanks LowBrow, they have a pretty nice selection of parts, know anything about their "custom" pickups???

Also, I am not sure the value of the stock Fender pot, I onlt remember that it had a solid shaft, and I didnt like that because the knob was always coming loose.

The higher the value, the brighter it is when full-up right? I think a 1k would be good, I like a lot of tone in my bass sounds. Maybe 500k, honestly Fender probably used 250, they seem to on about everything.

Agreed on a PAF being probably appropriate, though it won't need to be too inherently bright with an alder body and a maple board. Alnico II based a good plan?

Archived