Les Paul Time

Guitar_Dan

• Members

Hi Guys,

Just on the verge of purchasing a Les Paul, was set on a 2008 Standard or Traditional, still can't decide which neck I perfer, I was sold on the narrower standard neck, but after playing the Traditional, I love the feel of the bigger neck. I have also just been offered a good deal on a 58 VOS Les paul, what are peoples opinions of the 58? Should I go for that or one of the other two?

Cheers!

• Members

Depends on what you plan to do with it. If you plan on playing it, jamming with friends, gigs...think about what what sounds and feels best.

If you're looking for something to sit in the closet and collect dust, with visions of selling it years from now, then you'll need to think re-sale value.

• Members

Depends on what you plan to do with it. If you plan on playing it, jamming with friends, gigs...think about what what sounds and feels best.

If you're looking for something to sit in the closet and collect dust, with visions of selling it years from now, then you'll need to think re-sale value.

thinking resale value and playing the instrument are not mutually exclusive concepts, as long as you're not stupid about abusing the instrument while you do play it.

• Members

It's all about preference, man. I'd definitely try to play the 58 if you can...

My order of preference, if they all played and looked equally well, would be the VOS #1, the Traditional #2 and the Standard #3, but I'm pretty sure I could get along well with any of them.

• Members

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I know the 58 VOS is probably the pick of the 3, this is gonna sound corny, but I'm not sure if I like the aged look :facepalm: I did like the Traditional better than the Standard, whats peoples opinions on the sound difference between them? I just feel I will kick myself later if I don't get the 58 VOS.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hi Guys,

Just on the verge of purchasing a Les Paul, was set on a 2008 Standard or Traditional, still can't decide which neck I perfer, I was sold on the narrower standard neck, but after playing the Traditional, I love the feel of the bigger neck.
I have also just been offered a good deal on a 58 VOS Les paul, what are peoples opinions of the 58?
Should I go for that or one of the other two?

Cheers!

Get the 58, you'll thank me later.

• Members

thinking resale value and playing the instrument are not mutually exclusive concepts, as long as you're not stupid about abusing the instrument while you do play it.

:thu:

I did not get my historic for resale. Actually I will die before it sells as it is a tribute to my Mother's passing the same day Les Paul died.

• Members

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I know the 58 VOS is probably the pick of the 3, this is gonna sound corny, but I'm not sure if I like the aged look
:facepalm:
I did like the Traditional better than the Standard, whats peoples opinions on the sound difference between them? I just feel I will kick myself later if I don't get the 58 VOS.

Get your 58. The VOS looks isn't bad and if you don't want the older looking finish gloss it yourself.

Here is a thread you should read.

Glossing a VOS

Archived