How Do You Wire Your Strat?

kayd_mon

• Members

You will need a Olympic size swimming pool route for that. And a mile of wiring, which will probably cause a lot of noise. I think I'll stick with the standard Fender wiring.

You could consider designing a dedicated microprocessor for all that, that's what Gibson did with the "X", or is it "Ten"?

Actually, the only routing required was to remove the little bits of wood between the bridge and middle pickup cavities and removing a small amount of wood to mount the extra switch plate.

Noise could be an issue, but the luthier I am working with is very careful and as long as everything is well-shielded it should be ok. He's made way weirder stuff before:

[YOUTUBE]rJkjGJElruM[/YOUTUBE]

In stereo operation, the wiring for each group is actually not much more than for a regular 4-way wired tele. The actual length of wiring is probably less than on my jaguar Bass or any Jaguar for that matter because it all takes place within the strat pickguard space vs crossing to the other side of the body.

• Members

Right .. uhm .. I've got this:
SD JB jr in the bridge. Can switch from series to parallel with the first push-pull. No tone.
SD Hot stack in the middle, hardwired in series. Tone 1 is wired to this pickup.
SD Hotrails in the neck. Can switch from series to parallel with the 3rd push-pull. Tone 2 is wired to this pickup.
The 5-way is wired as follows:
1. Bridge
2. Bridge and middle in series
3. Middle
4. Middle and neck in series
5. Neck.

And when you pull the middle push-pull the 5-way changes to:
1. Bridge in series with neck.
2. Bridge parallel to middle.
3. Bridge, middle and neck, all 3 in series.
4. Middle parallel to neck.
5. Bridge parallel to neck.

It has 24 different possible combinations, and then you haven't twisted the tone knobs yet.
I currently working on figuring out version 2.0.
I need more lugs on the switch for what I want, but I want the pickguard to remain to look stock. So everything has to be done with the super 5-way and the 3 push-pulls.
I'm thinking of soldering 2 super 5-way switches together for version 2.0. And I'm hoping it'll fit, because I'm not going to rout the body.

Archived