Off topic: Amy Winehouse: a cautionary tale...

BlueStrat

• Members

Debating her talent aside, this poor wretch isn't long for this world if this keeps up...

AMY WINEHOUSE’s heartbroken dad last night claimed that The Sun’s shocking video could convince the singer to quit drugs for GOOD.

sunfrontpage_180x23_423477a.jpg Shock ... Sun's front page

Emotional Mitch, 57, said the harrowing footage we obtained of his daughter smoking crack may prove to be the wake-up call her family has longed for.

He said: “Your video of Amy taking drugs may well be the best thing that has ever happened to her.

“Of course it kills me to see my daughter on the front page of your newspaper like that.

“It’s nothing short of devastating - thinking she wants to destroy herself. She’ll be heartbroken about it all.

“But for all the hurt and pain, it may finally be the thing to focus her mind and convince her to get the help she needs to quit for good.”

Last night cops were examining the film to see whether Amy, 24, can be charged with a criminal offence.

The footage, revealed in The Sun yesterday, shows the Back to Black star smoking hit upon hit of crack after a 19-minute binge in which she snorted powdered ecstasy and cocaine.

She also admits in the recording - filmed at her East London home - that she has just popped six VALIUM pills.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article715263.ece

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

It's really sad... I don't understand where anyone can find humor in what's going on with her. (or with Britney, for that matter) I don't even see it as a "such a shame for someone so talented" thing... it's a shame for ANYONE to end up in such a state.

:(

• Members

It's really sad... I don't understand where anyone can find humor in what's going on with her. (or with Britney, for that matter) I don't even see it as a "such a shame for someone so talented" thing... it's a shame for ANYONE to end up in such a state.

:(

Yep.

Amy has to be, what, 130 pounds max?

I take 5 vicodins (7.5mg) and 3 Ultrams a day for constant pain, and I get semi-looped at times. And I'm 270 lbs.

I can't imagine 6 valium at once, plus all the other crap she's doing. I feel so bad for people who are so empty that there aren't enough drugs in the world to fill the hole. But no can do squat for them if they don't want help. Amy has an army of doctors trying to help her, and they're getting nowhere.

What's sad is that I don't know anyone who sat down when they were 8 years old and said "I think I'll be a raging drug addict when I get older." It just sort of happens to some folks, I guess. What a waste of talent.

• Moderators

Yep.

I take 5 vicodins (7.5mg) and 3 Ultrams a day for constant pain, and I get semi-looped at times. And I'm 270 lbs.

I recently had four wisdom teeth out and they gave me vicodin... I hated taking them, actually. It made me nauseous and exhausted if I took doses close together.

Does that happen to you, or do you just space them out really carefully... or is yer system just used to them?

• Moderators

What's sad is that I don't know anyone who sat down when they were 8 years old and said "I think I'll be a raging drug addict when I get older." It just sort of happens to some folks, I guess. What a waste of talent.

Yeah. :(

Coincidentally I was listening to Back to Black this morning as I walked to work. It's a pretty terrific album, I think, but I was also thinking "wow, lyrically, this whole thing kinda sounds like a cry for help."

• Members

I recently had four wisdom teeth out and they gave me vicodin... I hated taking them, actually. It made me nauseous and exhausted if I took doses close together.

Does that happen to you, or do you just space them out really carefully... or is yer system just used to them?

I'm used to it. I spread it out over the whole day, from 8 am to 8 PM.

I'm also on a pain contract, which I wanted before I'd agree to taking the stuff. It says I will only use the stuff under a doctor's regular supervision, I will only get it from one place, the scrip has to last 30 days, and if I abuse it I get cut off.

It sucks, though. I know I'm getting physically hooked on them. I just wish they'd give me some new knees and be done with it, but they want me to wait.

• Members

I have no sympathy for her, other than to say it's sad to see someone destroy themselves. It's very much like looking at the car wreck of an idiot that recklessly sped by you minutes ago.

It even angers me a bit when I see people waste their talents, and good fortune, in this difficult business, only to pi$$ it away.

It's nothing new. You'd think current celebs would learn from the mistakes of those that died before them.

http://www.whenwillamywinehousedie.com/

Goodbye Amy. I hope you find help, but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Members

It's nothing new. You'd think current celebs would learn from the mistakes of those that died before them.

But for those people for whom addictive behavior is to some degree or another a physical disease, that's kind of like saying you'd think that those people with the flu would have learned from the people who had it before them. If it was that simple, hundreds of thousands of people around the world wouldn't go do this road I would have to assume. I could have easily went that way myself.

For many artists like her, there's a reasonable argument to be made that they only got to where they are because they already had this and other problems of self esteem and self hate and self abuse, and it's a large part of what made them a performer. In many cases, and I know I'm doing arm chair psychoanalysis here, but I think it's true, they desparately want an external source of esteem. But, when they finally get some, it's so much at odds with their own self-loathing view of themselves that they cannot deal with the contradiction.

• Moderators

I have no sympathy for her, other than to say it's sad to see someone destroy themselves. It's very much like looking at the car wreck of an idiot that recklessly sped by you minutes ago.

It even angers me a bit when I see people waste their talents, and good fortune, in this difficult business, only to pi$$ it away.

I know this is often unpopular to say, but I'm going to say it anyways.

I don't think people habitually abuse drink and drugs because they are stupid or weak-minded. Some people are just biologically predisposed to it, and it takes a big change in their life, a change that many are never able to make, to get away from this behavour. Nor do I think it's the case that addicts are characteristically selfish, lazy or evil. (Unless they act so because of their addiction) In fact, many highly-motivated, bright individuals of note struggled with substance abuse.

Culturally, it seems like we're acting out some kind of deep-seated need to assign blame when something goes wrong. It becomes unthinkable to say "perhaps addicts really ARE lacking, to a certain extent, control over their own actions", because such an outlook would prevent us from spouting out the usual cliches about "taking responsibility for yourself" and the chance to villify the addict and in the process make ourselves feel superior.

Medically and logically, the "you're-just-being-stupid-and-inconsiderate" outlook just doesn't hold water.

People with addictions need help, and they need to admit that they have a problem and do something about their (medical) issue. But they don't need abuse, or a speech about how stupid they are.

Just my perspective, anyhow. :idk:

• Members

I've never been impressed by her. She seemed like the media's corrupt and talentless pawn from the beginning. All this bs about Rehab and she's still a hardcore addict.

wow. i think Back To Black is maybe the best album of last year.

just don't like the mix a lot, but musically brilliant.

• Members

Now that's the same as saying: You'd think current junkies would learn from the mistakes of junkies that died before them.

If you're a junkie, then you're a junkie, famous or not

• Members

You really think she's talentless?
:confused:

Yep. Especially when you compare her to the Fiona Apples, Norah Jones's, and the fifty thousand other women who can play and perform in that genre and excel at what they're doing. And yes, Amy Winehouse may be "biologically predisposed" to drug addiction and her overcoming drug addiction is no downhill battle anyway...but if you followed the stories about her in the media, she was never meant to succeed. They knew she would relapse and having been waiting for her to screw up. Like snakes, they hyped her up so they could tear her down.

• Members

I don't really think Norah Jones or Fiona Apple sound much like
Back to Black
, genre-wise.

:idk:

I don't think your simile really works. :poke:

But seriously, who is this "they"?

Dude, if you have something for Amy Winehouse, thats your thing. I just dont like her...I'm sorry.

• Moderators

Dude, if you have something for Amy Winehouse, thats your thing. I just dont like her...I'm sorry.

You don't have to like her; no skin off my nose! I dunno, I thought she was the topic of this thread... so I was, um... talking about her.

And, I wanted to know who you mean by "they"... :confused:

• Members

You don't have to like her; no skin off my nose! I dunno, I thought she was the topic of this thread... so I was, um... talking about her.

And, I wanted to know who you mean by "they"...
:confused:

She seems like a secondhand Lauryn Hill to me. An easy and safe route into the "world of soul and r&b." If you peel back the layers it's almost no different than how they marketed the race records of the fifties and sixties. Pitchfork Media comes to mind in terms of publications that bashed her. But several other magazines and blogs have written negative things about her. Just look online man.

• Moderators

She seems like a secondhand Lauryn Hill to me. An easy and safe route into the "world of soul and r&b." If you peel back the layers it's almost no different than how they marketed the race records of the fifties and sixties. Pitchfork Media comes to mind in terms of publications that bashed her. But several other magazines and blogs have written negative things about her. Just look online man.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I just really don't get where you're coming from.

I don't think anything was even still called a "race record" by the 50's, and certainly not in the 60's. But regardless, what does the marketing of Back to Black have to do with race records?

• Members

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I just really don't get where you're coming from.

I don't think anything was even still
called
a "race record" by the 50's, and certainly not in the 60's. But regardless, what does the marketing of
Back to Black
have to do with race records?

I'm not answering that question because it'll go over your head. But they totally had race records in the 50s and the 60s. To some extent, there are even race records now. But thats off topic from this thread.

• Moderators

I'm not answering that question because it'll go over your head. But they totally had race records in the 50s and the 60s. To some extent, there are even race records now. But thats off topic from this thread.

Dude, I could totally do without the condescension.

"Race Records" were made largely by and for an African-American audience. What this has to do with the mass marketing of an English singer with a multi-racial band escapes me.

But whatever. You don't have to be rude, I was just trying to understand whatever point you were trying to make, but I don't really care anymore.

:bor:

Archived