Are there any PROs that use strictly pedal-based distortions/overdrives???

notjonahbutnoah

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

tons of people use pedals. The best reason for touring pros to use stock pedals is that they are easily replaceable and consistant.

About Boss here's everything you ever wanted to know about all thier pedals:
http://www.bossarea.com/default.asp

according to this the DS-1 had 3 chip changes, the original MIJ chip (the "good" one) and the Korean had 2.

• Members

I like my DS-1. I keep the treble and gain down and boost it with an OD pedal like I would an amp and it sounds really good.

DSC05179.jpg

It sounds pretty good...... but I still don't like it as much as my Marshall DSL 100 or JCM 800 2203X.

BTW..... A DSL 50 (or 100) with a 2x12 is a GREAT way to go! :thu:

I have Celestion Vintage 30's in my Lopoline closed back 2x12 and it sounds amazing!

DSC02489.jpg

• Members
I like my DS-1. I keep the treble and gain down and boost it with an OD pedal like I would an amp and it sounds really good.

DSC05179.jpg

It sounds pretty good...... but I still don't like it as much as my Marshall DSL 100 or JCM 800 2203X.

BTW..... A DSL 50 (or 100) with a 2x12 is a GREAT way to go!
:thu:

I have Celestion Vintage 30's in my Lopoline closed back 2x12 and it sounds amazing!

DSC02489.jpg

Hey, I watched some of your youtube stuff, and the DSL 100 has some great cleans and low gain tones... really nice.

Here, do me a huge favor and tell me how well you think it would pull off the gain tones in these songs... most demos I find are clean/low gain or metal

[YOUTUBE]DdKntGhWs2U[/YOUTUBE]
The intro is just power chords and I really like the tone, also, once it gets fast, that's what I'm looking for

[YOUTUBE]xqkar6FEulI[/YOUTUBE]
This whole album has my favorite gain tone ever... so full and warm, but mean and biting at the same time

[YOUTUBE]47gJSKGeRuc[/YOUTUBE]
I really love the way the octave chords sound in this one. Whoever uploaded it used crappy bitrate it seems, but you get the idea...

My Nomad does a pretty good job with this kind of tone, but I find it a touch too "vintage-y" sometimes, if that makes sense... I want my tone to be juuuuuuuuust a touch more modern and scoopy... not what you would call a "scooped" tone, just a little more modern.

Anyway, is the DSL my amp?

Any other DSL owners, chime in!!!!

• Members

If you want tube preamp distortion, you could always go for a tube pedal, like a Damage Control.

I own a Damage Control Liquid Blues OD as well as a BK Butler Real Tube OD pedal. The Liquid Blues uses tubes fed with high voltage while the Real Tube uses a starved plate (low voltage) design to add tube coloration. Both work to add tube feel and flavor....although the LB sounds like it has more headroom. Both pedals use preamp tubes as part of their design, but if you turn a tube amp up into power amp saturation before kicking on these stomp boxes, you get more than a just a tube 'preamp' type of sound. Of course, this is the basic premise behind using an OD pedal...it's designed to further distort an already overdriven amp. If you want a believable crunch sound through a clean amp, pedals like the Suhr Riot and Barber Direct Drive can get you there.

I think it's worth mentioning that most pedals that use tubes for coloration also rely on ss circuitry to create the crunch. People bent on discrediting tube technology will tell you that the tubes are used purely for marketing. Unfortunately, the marketing of such products does tend to overemphasize the tube aspect of the design while ignoring the rest of the circuit. The truth is that these pedals use a hybrid of ss and tube technology. Anybody, who's ever owned such a pedal and bothered to swap tubes can tell you that different tubes do change the flavor of the sound slightly...and, that's not marketing hype.

• Members

When I played with a punk band back in the day I used two different setups:

Cheap Rat disto into a SF Bassman Head into a 4x12

50 Watt JCM 800 into a 2x12

Plugged straight in no pedals and cranked.

Didn't need a clean sound because clean sounds were for girl music. Lolz.

My ears are still ringing 20 years later!

Archived