Is there really that much difference between a maple and mahogany neck?

45below

• Members

Well, the guitar I'm after is basically a LP special SC (Les Paul with P90s) except with a strat shape and scale. (All mahogany, with rosewood neck)

I'm interested in modding an existing guitar, by installing some more pots and dropping some Gibson P94s (humbucker-sized P90s) but I'm having a problem...

I can't find a single production-made Strat-looking guitar that has both a mahogany body and neck! However, there are tons with maple necks...

So, my question is:

Using P90s (or P94s, to be specific) with a mahogany body, is there really that much difference in the tone between a maple and mahogany neck? I don't look closely enough to be an audiophile, but I do want a tone similar to an LP junior.

Thanks guys

• Members

The variables that affect tone are many. The VAST majority of your tone comes from your pickups and your amp and your pedals. The contribution of the body wood and the neck are miniscule.

In a million years you will never be able to tell the difference between a maple and mahogany neck.

• Members

The variables that affect tone are many. The VAST majority of your tone comes from your pickups and your amp and your pedals. The contribution of the body wood and the neck are miniscule.

In a million years you will never be able to tell the difference between a maple and mahogany neck.

...especially when the whole band is playing.

• Members

...especially when the whole band is playing.

That's what I was hoping to hear. :)
Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

• Members

Yeah, there will be minimal difference if you play with gain, at gig levels in a band setting. No one will be able to tell the difference between a bolt on maple neck vs a mahogany set neck.

Now for you, the player... of course there's a big difference between a 24.75" scale guitar with a mahogany body and a set mahogany neck vs a 25.5" scale guitar with a alder body and a bolt on maple neck but sound wise... not a tremendous difference.

• Members

Yeah, there will be minimal difference if you play with gain, at gig levels in a band setting. No one will be able to tell the difference between a bolt on maple neck vs a mahogany set neck.

Now for you, the player... of course there's a big difference between a 24.75" scale guitar with a mahogany body and a set mahogany neck vs a 25.5" scale guitar with a alder body and a bolt on maple neck but sound wise... not a tremendous difference.

That's awesome. Thanks a bunch.

Archived