Where are the MySpace superstars?

georg79

• Members

There are a lot of bands on myspace that get the "adder-bots" to boost their numbers so they look huge. I had a friend that was in a band once, that sucked, didn't have an album out, rarely played a gig, and resided in Boise where no one lives and they have well over 10,000 friends. All of which were added by a robot. All of which didn't even listen to the band. Myspace trivializes a lot of things, such as fan base. Bands try to go about things backwards. They hype themselves up in order to get noticed. I have a myspace page and every once in a while I add friends or bands. But my page is there for me to show friends my guitar playing who are on the other side of the country. So uh... yeah... Check out my myspace page! Link below!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There are a lot of bands on myspace that get the "adder-bots" to boost their numbers so they look huge. I had a friend that was in a band once, that sucked, didn't have an album out, rarely played a gig, and resided in Boise where no one lives and they have well over 10,000 friends. All of which were added by a robot. All of which didn't even listen to the band. Myspace trivializes a lot of things, such as fan base. Bands try to go about things backwards. They hype themselves up in order to get noticed. I have a myspace page and every once in a while I add friends or bands. But my page is there for me to show friends my guitar playing who are on the other side of the country. So uh... yeah... Check out my myspace page! Link below!

IDK if i'm for or against an adder bot in that situation b/c not alot of artist go to Idaho and Idaho isn't the first on my list as where many 'musicians' come from.

But i mean, let's say you're serious about 'getting to a level of recognition' you can't just have a page, no one is going to know you're there. I think someone on here awhile ago said if you're not getting plays for friends then that means your music sucks, well maybe you're just not promoting yourself.

But that situation...i don't know what to think of it. They don't have a CD and don't play regularly....might as well not even use it.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Thats totally nonsense... Myspace isnt even involved with promotionof FTSK, they are not a myspace group, your facts are wrong, you dont understand how things work, with a new group like that... people really like them.. .. tehy are playin the 13th in Dallas and the show is sold out and myspace... didn't have much to do with that, thats kids physically getting the tickets beggin there parents to go..

Jack:blah:

• Members

Has anyone mentioned Panic at the Disco?

they recorded stuff and pretty much only had a myspace page. Eventually, after building enough rapport with enough people, someone showed their myspace page to Pete Wentz from Fall Out Boy, who signed them to his label

• Members

they recorded stuff and pretty much only had a myspace page. Eventually, after building enough rapport with enough people, someone showed their myspace page to Pete Wentz from Fall Out Boy, who signed them to his label

The Wikipedia article says it was through Livejournal that Pete Wentz was contacted. I wonder which is the truth, if any? Livejournal sounds better for a bio because every netizen knows that Livejournal is *way* more emo than Myspace. :)

• Members

The Wikipedia article says it was through Livejournal that Pete Wentz was contacted. I wonder which is the truth, if any? Livejournal sounds better for a bio because every netizen knows that Livejournal is *way* more emo than Myspace.
:)

BWA HA HA

well... I guess the overall point is that they were contact through some scenester method of communication.

I'm still awesome.

• Members

They build enough rapport with enough people... MySpace has nothing to do with it. They probably were really lucky and met the good person, and had the sound that was 'in' at the time.

I hate that band... lol

• Members

Panic At The Disco has had help from a label to be superstar.

They are not the definition we are looking for. (Someone who has reached mainstream from the help of no one(labels) but not literrally though.

Now, Poker 99 you might like their new stuff. TOTAL different direction.

• Members

Panic At The Disco has had help from a label to be superstar. They are not the definition we are looking for. (Someone who has reached mainstream from the help of no one(labels) but not literrally though.

What Panic At The Disco shows has been repeated ad nauseum in this thread: MySpace and the Internet are just a tool; it can be a very good tool, opening lots of opportunities; but don't expect instant success just because you have a MySpace page.

Really, the only other notable thing is that PATD was the first artist on this whole damn thread that I would actually consider a superstar. The only one even close is Soulja Boy (who as previously mentioned I currently file under "flash in the pan" until proven otherwise). Some people have an odd perspective on what a star is. :p

• Members

I heard their new single yesterday on the radio. Don't like it.

really. Even though i loved their previous sound on the first CD. This new sound they're going for sounds pretty good. They said they were influenced from bands in the 60s and such.

'Supposedly' they recorded the song live in the studio. But all that doesn't change an opinion though lol.

• Members

What Panic At The Disco shows has been repeated ad nauseum in this thread: MySpace and the Internet are just a tool; it can be a very good tool, opening lots of opportunities; but don't expect instant success just because you have a MySpace page.

Really, the only other notable thing is that PATD was the first artist on this whole damn thread that I would actually consider a superstar. The only one even close is Soulja Boy (who as previously mentioned I currently file under "flash in the pan" until proven otherwise). Some people have an odd perspective on what a star is.
:p

yep yep yeppers

Archived