New Youtube Video. Proof that tone wood matters! (LP with 490T)

metal0822

• Members

I made a youtube clip of studio with a 490t in the bridge. That is the pickup that comes in the faded sg, and i dont think anything else at the moment. Anyways, there is still no question that this is the les paul tone. An sg will not get this thick, and then again the lp wont get so downright nasty. But! These are still both 24.75 scale, mahogany body/mahogany neck, 490t/490r, etc guitars except the paul is a bit heftier and sports a maple cap. Anyhow, I just made this clip in a flash since I thought everything was sounding good. I placed the mic too close to the speaker:facepalm: This is only my third or fourth video so I haven't really gotten it down yet. It's a learning process:lol: Anyways, let me know what you think.

[YOUTUBE]vwn5Tgxj_tQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

That was great and relevant recording. I appreciate you not multi-tracking, adding delay, compressing the {censored} out of it, adding a double kick drum track that I HATE. That showed the 490T is a great pickup when used correctly. You have a good style too.

I have the infamous 498T in a Les Paul Special SL that does not have a maple cap and though it is not my favorite pickup, by adjusting the pickup height and right now having it pretty low, it delivers. For me it is an improved SG in feel and sound over the lower end SG's and kills the LP competition in its price class even when they have a maple cap.

• Members

well i dont have an sg, but maybe a better recording of mine will help people realize.

you dont have an sg? so you dont know if the pickups are at the same height, or the elctronics where the same, bridge and tail? both new strings of the same guage and brand?

see, ive done your experiment too, taking the pickups from an lp and putting them in an SG faded, actually transfering the aluminium tailpiece and strings with them. making sure the heights were close to the same.

guess what? the guitars sounded more or less identical.

now, ive taken 1 of those old 490's and put it in my custom SG, and they sound very very different. of course the custom sg has string through, the pickup mounted directly to the body, a brass bridge, a 24" scale, and only 1 volume pot.

so sorry, it aint the wood making the dominating changes.

• Members

i dont own an sg, ive played them though. almost bought one instead of my first paul. i picked out the best faded sg i could since they were on sale. then before making my final decision i grabbed a faded paul too. only took a few minutes to change my mind and put the money down for the paul. again, not saying either one is better or worse, i just dig the thickness of the lp. so ihavenofish, since you did all of this extreme experimenting, did you take the time to do anything about it? clips, vids?

thanks for all the positive comments, hopefully i get this mic placement thing down soon, i figured you just stick it in front of the amp and go ahead :facepalm:

any particular clip requests? certain guitars? tones? settings? i can try my best to do something for ya.

and i guess if you guys think those full chords around 30 seconds sound thin, then thin is the kinda tone i like :idk:

and gilmourd, that tele clip is indeed thick, but in my opinion its a little too pushed into that zone and loses a lot of clarity and bite. but hey, tone is a matter of opinion, it gives your style a certain feel, thats why we all get to choose our own setups. good on you for actually showing something and giving some background :thu:

• Members

any particular clip requests? certain guitars? tones? settings? i can try my best to do something for ya.

id like to see the sg and lp side by side with the same pickups, strings and bridge myself, otherwise all youve got no proof of anything at all. heck, you dont even have the lp with the old pickups in the video to compare to.

im only ripping on you cause youve gone and made a claim that goes agaisnt everything ive experienced and you have not show the slightest bit of evidence to back it up. had you just said "i think my lp sounds nicer than the sg with these pickups" id have left you alone.

:)

and no, i never made any videos of mine, there was no reason to as it was hardly a grounbreaking discovery.

• Members

1. well no sg i have ever played (including plenty of fadeds) sounds like my les paul with the 490t.

2. i cant make a sg/lp side by side video, i dont have an sg. i was asking if people wanted any sound clip/demos of anything else i have in my sig, or just different setting with this setup.

3. there is no "old pickups" i bought the lp with emgs and got this pickup set for it. i had a studio with 498t and it sounded plenty different. tell me an lp studio and sg standard sound the same, they both have 498t/490r pickup sets.

the ironic thing is that i can get my hands on an sg standard from a friend but it has the 498t, not the 490t. maybe i can do a neck pickup clip comparing the 490r in both?

• Members

[YOUTUBE]FQNo3w0sdHg[/YOUTUBE]

switch back and forth between 0:25 and 1:25, same riff, same amp, same settings. they might not be the same pickups, but the difference in tone is instanatly noticeable...and you know what the difference sounds like to me? it sounds like the classic argument of the difference in tone between the sg and the lp:idea:

thats just the first video i found, maybe i can find a better comparison by looking around a bit.

• Members

switch back and forth between 0:25 and 1:25, same riff, same amp, same settings. they might not be the same pickups, but the difference in tone is instanatly noticeable...and you know what the difference sounds like to me? it sounds like the classic argument of the difference in tone between the sg and the lp:idea:

thats just the first video i found, maybe i can find a better comparison by looking around a bit.

sounds like they have very different pickups - classic 57 in the sg 61? my les paul raw power had those, sounded similer.

• Members

nope bb3 in the sg according to another one of his videos...kinda on the opposite side of the spectrum from the 57 as far as output goes.

he says the sg is bb3/bb2 and the lp is bb2/bb1. not exactly the same pickup but damn close, just wound slightly hotter...i can hear way more difference than a few extra windings on a pickup in that clip. definitely not "very different pickups" like you say. that "very different pickups" sound you hear is the difference between a thicker mahog body with a maple cap :D

Archived