Pro Tip- smoke a cigarette, drink coffee while in the midst of your vocal take

• Members

Worked for Frank. I've always loved the clever string arranging on this song and just heard of this clip. So cool to watch. I sometimes forget how musically in control he was beyond just vocals. Those Capitol chambers sure sound nice. Are they still underground over there? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjJuxMHvwr8

Now, if I can just get the vsl library to sound like this some day.

• Members

Around 6 years ago I recorded vocals for a local rock band. They came to my place for 2 days and banged out 12 songs. Quite impressive. This band had two singers so they split up the duties, both singing 6 tunes each.

It was hilarious because they set up this little tea stand in the studio with lemons and honey and towels. I knew them both quite well and said to them,

"Are you guys kidding me? You`re supposed to be all rock and roll and this is so not rock and roll."

The truth is, depending on the sound you`re going after, smoking and drinking some whiskey can add a little "dirt" (phlegm) to the vocals. Listen to any of Seals latest tunes? His smoking is getting out of hand because his vocals sound like they are going through some heavy processing but its all natural. Quite scary and unhealthy.

Anyway, my preferences are Tazo ZEN Green tea and Yogi Teas Throat Comfort. Both are excellent.

Archived