OT: Big time for me in my life. Graduation and the start of a new career.

metal0822

• Members

Hey, sorry this is kinda off topic, but I have been on here a lot lately and kinda feel like you guys are like an extended family, in a strange and twisted kinda way. Anyhow, hopefully I can keep this up for a bit.

I just wanted to spill the beans that I will officially graduate with my bachelor's next sunday, and I will officially be starting my new job next monday.

It has been an especially tough semester for me. I got offered a chance to show my stuff at a job I have been dreaming about for over a year. Mix that with all the classes I foolishly left for the end because they sounded boring or difficult. Mix those with my overall GPA being a 3.54, and if I don't get a 3.3 this semester, I will lose out on graduating with honors.

So basically, I put a half-hearted effort into both, and kinda came out iffy. This coming exam week will be rough and if I keep up what I have been doing, I should be able to keep the grades up and maintain my honors status.

At my job, they noticed a lack of full effort and did not want to hire me. But based on recommendations they decided to give me another chance, so I am kind of on a probationary period. I gotta show my stuff for a couple of months and really impress them to keep the position and get the salary.

I really wanted to wow my bosses this week and get some serious work done, but I can't sacrifice my honors status. This will be a tough week for sure (AGAIN!!:mad:) but I should be pulling through shortly. If I cannot excel at my job and do not get the offer, I may be in a rough spot.

I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is. I have just been overloaded, and while I have sort of good news, this week is gonna be brutal for me. I just gotta keep my head up one more week and things can seriously take off. Sorry if I wasted your time, and thanks for listening and any insight you may have for me.

• Members

Sounds like you're moving in the right direction!

My ex wife is sort of going through that as well... finishing her second degree AND working full/overtime for a company that pays her very well, but expects WAY too much. To be honest, I don't know how you and she can hold down a full time, high endurance job and finish a degree.

Good going!

• Members

Rid yourself of distractions and dig in. You'll kick yourself if you screw it up because you were noodling on the guitar or hanging on HCEG instead of working. All that stuff is there in a week, month or whatever, your job and school won't be.

• Members

You should go to your boss and apologize (even if you don't feel you want to or should have to) for being a bit half-hearted and let him know you are under the gun at school and let him know that you appreciate his support and patience. Assure him that there is only one week left and he'll see a big difference once you are finished and won't have your mind in two places at once. If he knows it's only for another week, he'll be a bit more patient with you and will likely appreciate you being up front with him.

• Members

You should go to your boss and apologize (even if you don't feel you want to or should have to) for being a bit half-hearted and let him know you are under the gun at school and let him know that you appreciate his support and patience. Assure him that there is only one week left and he'll see a big difference once you are finished and won't have your mind in two places at once. If he knows it's only for another week, he'll be a bit more patient with you and will likely appreciate you being up front with him.

I have already had lots of great talks with my bosses. It is a very small company has a very family-like feel to it. My friend who works there got his one year vacation early after only working for about 4 months because he wanted to come to a school competition with us. You come in whenever you want, and leave whenever you want, just tell them how many hours you worked when the week is over. They give you tons of freedom and expect that you don't exploit it, which I never would. My professor recommends his best student every once in a while, and if they go for it, the company gives them a shot. I got a great recommendation from him and my friend who works there now. I will be moving in with him about 5 minutes away from the office into a 2 bedroom apartment that will cost me just 300 a month. He is now making 45k, so I am expecting that if I work hard once I am out. My boss who is evaluating me and in charge of hiring me graduated from my school in my program in 2006 or 2007, so he knows what I am going through.

Thanks for all the help guys, I needed the little pep talk from people who know what they're doing. I'll keep you updated.

• Members

May God bless you in your moment of struggle!

"No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he'll never let you be pushed past your limit; he'll always be there to help you come through it."

1 Corinthians 10:13 (The Message)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

thanks for everything guys. i just wanted to follow up and say that i actually got way more than i needed as far as grades and after only 3 days on the job full time i got the long term offer and salary/benefits. finally getting around to unpacking some boxes since i was moving and working all week. i feel like ive reached a new milestone in my life journey (i know...corny :facepalm:)

• Members

thanks everyone. i got my bachelors in applied engineering: electronics/control systems. i work for an automation company/contractor. we go to various companies and automate their processes. its a good mix of hardware and software, which i like. its a good middle ground between blue collar and white collar work imo.

• Members

thanks everyone. i got my bachelors in applied engineering: electronics/control systems. i work for an automation company/contractor. we go to various companies and automate their processes. its a good mix of hardware and software, which i like. its a good middle ground between blue collar and white collar work imo.

That's cool. I dealt with people/companies like you throughout my career. Gain enough experience and you will be on your way to starting your own business. Good luck and may success follow your every step!

Archived