Mystery Guitar

thomazzz

• Members

Looks like one of the department store guitars like a teisco or a silvertone. It may take some digging to find what it was actually labeled and sold as; they were made in a few factories, rebranded and sold at department stores and in catalogs. You will see many different makes and models with similar hardware and features as a result so pin pointing exactly what it is can be tricky sometimes. Sorry I can't be more specific about that one.

Just about every one of these "Mystery guitar" threads turns out to be an unlabeled japenese import from the 60s. :lol:

• Members

Typical Japan teisco. They made a gazzilion of them with the brand names Teisco, Heit, Kay, and no name. Most were sold out of catalogs like Sears and montgomery Ward. I even have one hanging on a wall someone gave me collecting dust. Some really like them but pretty they're pretty much a junk toy guitar sold to kids back then and havent gained any value since due to the poor quality. Not even worth fixing up. Its amazing so many survived. I guess its because most wound up in a closet not being played. A $99 squire strat will piss all over it for quality and playability. I think the only worse guitars made were the Teisco acoustics they warped up in a few weeks of playing, or I should say not playing because the quality was as bad as it gets. They were made pf ply wood and had a floating bridge and tail piecs, a nut about an inch tall and if the tuners didnt bust off tuning the thing nwhich it constantly needed the top would cave in and warp up. A real Kabong tool for kids and most wound up that way.

• Members

Typical Japan teisco. They made a gazzilion of them with the brand names Teisco, Heit, Kay, and no name. Most were sold out of catalogs like Sears and montgomery Ward. I even have one hanging on a wall someone gave me collecting dust. Some really like them but pretty they're pretty much a junk toy guitar sold to kids back then and havent gained any value since due to the poor quality. Not even worth fixing up. Its amazing so many survived. I guess its because most wound up in a closet not being played. A $99 squire strat will piss all over it for quality and playability. I think the only worse guitars made were the Teisco acoustics they warped up in a few weeks of playing, or I should say not playing because the quality was as bad as it gets. They were made pf ply wood and had a floating bridge and tail piecs, a nut about an inch tall and if the tuners didnt bust off tuning the thing nwhich it constantly needed the top would cave in and warp up. A real Kabong tool for kids and most wound up that way.

Yep - what WRGKMC wrote. Horrible, virtually unplayable guitars, even when brand-new. Probably caused more 60's wanna-be garage band guitarists to quit playing than any other reason.

Archived