What is your favorite loop pedal?

metal0822

• Members

Well, with graduation coming up, my parents told me i can pick something out in the 150-200 range. buying used is definitely an option, so i would prefer that if it helps me afford something better. i noticed the memory man pedals seem really nice, and would allow me to sell my delay pedal for some more toys:facepalm: anyhow, what loop pedals have you had experience with. what features do certain ones lack? do any have problems with coloring tone too much? anything im forgetting to ask?:lol:

• Members

I tried the Boss RC-2 looper first. It was fun for a day or so, but I found it obtuse to use and it sat for awhile before being expelled from my life. After awhile I wanted to try again and picked up a JML-2 Jamman. $260ish shipped thru amazon. So it is a bit beyond your budget, but it seems a lot more intuitive and capable so far. I have not mastered it even a little, but my recommendation is this: If you aren't playing gigs with it, don't get a small one. You want it to be easy to use, portability is not important.

I never A/B's them but my initial impression was that the Jamman didn't "color" or degrade the sound as much as the RC-2. I think a nice looper is one of the best things you can get as a hobbyist/home player.

• Members

kit_strong, i checked out the line 6 and it seems really cool. 1 question and 1 concern. question: why are you selling? concern: will playing the backing tracks sound bad after being processed by my amp, and will the bass/bass drum parts possibly damage my speakers?

• Members

I owned a Boss RC20-XL and then sold it for the Digitech Jamman.

The sound quality on the RC20 definitely degrades as you add more loops. Also, you can only store 10 loops on it.

I am much happier with the Jamman. You can store up to 99 loops. There is an SD card slot so you can store tons of stuff. Also, you can connect it to your computer via USB cable and transfer your loops. Last but not least, the Jamman sounds primo no matter how matter loops you layer on top of each other. The JML2 is a bit over your price range however at $300.

• Members

kit_strong, i checked out the line 6 and it seems really cool. 1 question and 1 concern. question: why are you selling? concern: will playing the backing tracks sound bad after being processed by my amp, and will the bass/bass drum parts possibly damage my speakers?

I am selling because with the addition of the HD500 it is redundant and will probably never get used again. I also have a Apogee GIO which I use with Garage band so between the 2 I just don't have any use for the JM4 and it was just an ill-timed purchase for me.

Playing backing tracks through the amp.. if you are playing through a clean amp, no problem or if you are running through an effect loop. If you are running through the front of an overdriven amp then everything that goes in will be overdriven.

As for computer interface, you can record to the flash card then easily transfer that to computer.

I'm in Catonsville so if you wanted to check it out in person that could probably be arranged.

-Kit

• Members

kit, that is a very good reason to sell :lol:

i guess i can always play the line 6 through my bass rig or just turn down the gain on my traynor. no effects loop unfortunately. cool thing is i could just use it as a regular looper with no backing tracks through my amp, and if i want, i can play it through my bass amp with everything else. that whole scenario would be a cool extra that a regular looper couldnt touch. are you in a rush to sell?

• Members

kit, that is a very good reason to sell
:lol:
i guess i can always play the line 6 through my bass rig or just turn down the gain on my traynor. no effects loop unfortunately. cool thing is i could just use it as a regular looper with no backing tracks through my amp, and if i want, i can play it through my bass amp with everything else. that whole scenario would be a cool extra that a regular looper couldnt touch. are you in a rush to sell?

Nah, no rush on my end.

• Members

I originally picked up the Hardwire DL-8 Delay pedal which offers 20 seconds of looping. I had so much fun with that, that I picked up a JamMan Solo (retail $199). That has somewhere around 36min of looping, but you can add an SD card to get up to 16hrs of looping or 200 tracks.

It's simple, easy to use and sounds great. It has some desktop software, but I prefer to record with a USB mic into Audacity.

• Members

I have the Jamman. Love it, i took a while to choose which looper to buy, the Jamman seemed the best option at the time, with the 99 patches, flash card memory, and usb interface. Although for live usage if you want to switch between patches on the fly, you'll either have to get down on your knees, or buy the aditional fx3 footswitch. I would reccomend the Jamman stereo, which unfortunately just came out a few weeks after i got the original.

The Stereo Jamman, has all the same features as the Jamman, but has the added footswitches to switch between patches. It also has additional software with it! ....... oh yeah and its STEREO!

You would have to find a used one to keep it within your budget though. Definately worth the extra dough if you can scrape it together.

• Members

Concerning the Jamman of a couple of years ago and its Boss counterpart, the Jamman came up with better sound in the reviews... I think 44.1/16 bit uncompressed...like CD quality :thu:, and the Boss suffered by comparison :mad: as it was not up to the specs of the Jamman.

Google for reviews :blah:; that's always a good way to check things like that out. See what others who have done more in-depth work-outs with the items have to say :idea: if you can't A-B them yourself.

• Members

I had rented an RC-2 a while back for about a month to play with and really enjoyed it. About a month ago, I had some extra money and decided to buy a looper. Pretty much it was between the Jamman Solo and the RC-2. From what I could find, most people preferred the Jamman so that's what I went with - I figured the Boss was a known quantity and if the Jamman improved on that, so much the better.

I'm not sure about it. I don't find it quite as easy to use as the RC-2, which to me felt very natural. The I've even been considering trying to trade the Jamman straight up for an RC-2, but I don't know. Should probably just give it more time, but right now I miss that RC-2.

• Members

I have the Jamman. Love it, i took a while to choose which looper to buy, the Jamman seemed the best option at the time, with the 99 patches, flash card memory, and usb interface. Although for live usage if you want to switch between patches on the fly, you'll either have to get down on your knees, or buy the aditional fx3 footswitch. I would reccomend the Jamman stereo, which unfortunately just came out a few weeks after i got the original..

Exactly this. Exactly my experience, as well.

Archived