Freboard sticker experiment

scolfax

• Members

So I finally decided to try some of these $12 fretboard stickers. I had always wondered what it would be like to play on a Fretlight and this seemed like a much cheaper way to go. Anyway, here it is:

5310660715_2691dbd050.jpg

First off, super ugly. I should have tried these instead.

Second, I put them on with my strings removed. Easier to get at the fretboard, but hard to tell if you're putting the stickers on accurately. You can see my alignment is horrible in places.

Third, I guess I could have placed them closer to the frets towards the headstock side. Rubbing up against the stickers doesn't feel good and will eventually wear them away.

I've only had them on for less than an hour and ran through some scales and did a little improv. Have to say, no real light-bulb moments. So far I think that learning where the other A's are from the A you're on, for example, is more useful. And of course learning scale shapes and keeping track of where the roots are.

Also, you can't see the notes when you're standing, basically need to sit to get any use out of it. I'll probably keep them on this guitar for a while to see if there are any insights. I might get those prettier stickers and keep them on one of my guitars to see if eventually all of the notes on the neck sink in.

• Members

Hmmm, well if it's any consolation, when my room mate first moved in, his strat had scotch tape on the back of the neck marking the 6th string notes; F,F#,G,G#,A... all the way up to 12. If that wasn't the worst thing ever...

I cleaned it up for him. It's better now, there is hope in your future.

• Members

I think it seems like a good idea for song writing and working on scales, but as far as just playing and looking at the guitar, no way. I had some cool looking shark fin stickers on one of my bad guitars and just ended up peelin em off because of the wear and tear of the edges and plastic coating.

• Members

Hmmm, well if it's any consolation, when my room mate first moved in, his strat had scotch tape on the back of the neck marking the 6th string notes; F,F#,G,G#,A... all the way up to 12. If that wasn't the worst thing ever...

I cleaned it up for him. It's better now, there is hope in your future.

Reminds me of this:

Tufnel_Guitar.jpg

• Members

I think it seems like a good idea for song writing and working on scales

I assumed that was his whole reason for doing this. Why else would someone be using a Fretlight? I did the same thing to a keyboard years ago when I made a feeble attempt to learn.

• Members

There are several solvents on the market which will take off the stickum from those labels without hurting the wood or finish. Nothing was hurt by your experiment.

Most likely, Old English Lemon Oil will remove everything without needing solvents. I use it liberally on used guitars to clean the grime. I've also used GooGone to remove stickers without any effects to the finish.

• Members

I assumed that was his whole reason for doing this. Why else would someone be using a Fretlight? I did the same thing to a keyboard years ago when I made a feeble attempt to learn.

LOL good point. I guess he could have wanted a colorful fretboard? :idk:

• Members

My 2 cents;

I wouldn't use this as a learning tool. Why? You're not going to play your guitar out like that. Any gain in how fast you learn where the notes are will be lost when you take the markers off because visually you won't have the dots to anchor your fingers to. The frets themselves and the markers should be what you use to figure things out.

More advice for learning the fretboard: get the book "Guitar Fretboard Workbook" - DO the lessons in the book, all of them, actually writing the answers down. This works, and you can take the knowledge you learn while doing it on the road with you. :rawk:

Archived