suggest a replacement for my Little 59

J.Paul

• Members

I am using a Duncan Little 59 in the bridge position of my Telecaster. I like it but it's a little too round and soft sounding plus when I tap to single coil it buzzes. So I need first a "single coil humbucker" that is a bit more aggressive THEN I need it to be hum cancelling when tapped for single coil.

Someone got any suggestions?

• Members

Uhhh... I'm not sure I quite follow.

You want a humbucker that still bucks the hum when coil-split?

Ain't gonna happen. :idk:

I kinda like the Little 59 in my Tele. Doesn't mean it's for everyone though. A few years ago, I had a Lil 59 in a strat and never quite bonded with it.

I have a Dimarzio Chopper in a strat and think it pretty much kicks ass, and I've heard lots of good things about the Dimarzio Fast Track T. Supposed to be fairly twangy for a humbucker.

• Members

Pretty sure such a thing doesn't exist: a tele bridge-sized humbucker which splits into a humbucking single coil.

although, what if such a pickup were designed? it could be TWO humbuckers stacked upon each other, for a whopping FOUR coils! then, when split, it would split into a humbucker. they could call it the quadbucker!

anyway, I also use a Little 59 in my Tele, and it's fantastic. I don't split mine, though. Can't imagine it would be a great sound. Maybe get another Tele, but keep a nice single coil in the bridge of that one :idk:

• Members

Uhhh... I'm not sure I quite follow.

You want a humbucker that still bucks the hum when coil-split?

Ain't gonna happen.
:idk:

They make Hum Cancelling single coil pickups

They make humbuckers that look like single coil pickups

I want one that does both

They figured out how to send men to the moon.....,,,

lol

• Members

They make Hum Cancelling single coil pickups

They make humbuckers that look like single coil pickups

I want one that does both

They figured out how to send men to the moon.....,,,

lol

I see what you're saying... Well, I don't know that such a beast exists. It would be a pretty tall pickup. The Dimarzio stacked single coils (hum-free, but not 'humbucking') are already taller than a standard single coil because of the two coils... and they should have a special cover though I guess it isn't 100% needed.

Add in another set of coils for the true humbucker structure... I think you'd end up with a pickup so tall that you'd need to have a deeper than standard route for it to physically fit.

As an aside, it should be pretty easy to build a full size humbucker with a stacked coil single coil design... three coils... two that work as a standard HB, then when you 'split' the coils, the dummy coil on the bottom of the used coil turns on to have a hum-free single coil tone... Guess there just isn't much demand.

Until someone comes up with exactly what you are looking for, I'd suggest the Fast Track T again... a true humbucker, voiced more like a single coil. :idk:

• Members

Yeah, I would suggest that since hum canceling single coils are actually double coils that you should probably just find another "noiseless" single coil designed pickup that comes in between the tone of the '59 and a split HB. Something along the lines of "number 3" that PunkKitty posted.

Archived