I replaced the neck on my beloved stratocaster

Dash4814

• Members

My first ever guitar. Christmas made 11 years with it. :love:

Anyway, the frets were getting bad to begin with, because it's my #1 and I've played the absolute hell out of it over that last decade+1. I then recently discovered that the neck was twisting, which was causing all sorts of hell with the setup and mucho frustration.

Bought a new neck, did a little sanding to get the fit just right, gave it a good setup, and my #1 is ready to go again.

Modular guitar parts = :thu:

• Members

Yep...as much as I love set-neck guitars, Leo Fender was on to something with his designs.

HNND!

Thanks, I've been recording my Gibsons an awful lot these days but when I'm just noodling or playing for fun the strat is my go-to. That and my Martin will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands when I kick. :mad:

• Members

What is the strat. Fender has a lifetime warranty on MIA's If the neck twisted I would take it to a Fender dealer and have them look at it.

It's an MIA, don't know the year but it's gotta be 15-20 years old I'd say. I didn't know that about the warranty, but the new neck is on and I like how it feels. $115 well spent, IMO.

• Members

$115 is cheaper than a refret!

Although I'd always refret if possible - I really like my neck! - but in your case with the twisting a new part is probably best.

I'd check out the lifetime warranty, but you might need to find the original sales receipt, case candy etc to show it's been yours from new.

• Members

What dimensions did you go with? Standard american strat neck or something a bit different? What brand?

Got it from another forumite, it's a Fender MIM neck from a 60s strat. Nut width seemed like it might be an issue but I really don't notice anything bad...? Tuned up, intonated, and frets very well, with no problems. I might not be good enough to notice anything terrible, however. :o

• Members

$115 is cheaper than a refret!

Although I'd always refret if possible - I really like my neck! - but in your case with the twisting a new part is probably best.

I'd check out the lifetime warranty, but you might need to find the original sales receipt, case candy etc to show it's been yours from new.

Yeah I definitely don't have any of that. Dad traded a set of drums for it back in 2000. :o

• Members

It's an MIA, don't know the year but it's gotta be 15-20 years old I'd say. I didn't know that about the warranty, but the new neck is on and I like how it feels. $115 well spent, IMO.

Yeah my MIA 57 reissue did that. Kinked on the treble side around the 14th. Was yours an all-maple neck like mine ?

I ended up going even a little fatter with a 54 style soft V carve, .890 thick at the nut, which is...a boat...:D and a pau ferro board. It softened the twang a little, but in a nice way. USA Custom Guitar, about twice what you paid - but the neck was flawless and needed nothing.

Modular guitars are cool. :thu:

Archived