Punch in the stomach

DjDan

• Members

HI! all . I have a question about what does the punch in the stomach on a dance floor. Most of that arrive when there is 4 Bose 302 and 4 Bose 802 , old stuff, in front stage(stereo). The highs and mids are not too bright, wich is ok by most people. Or when there is 4 mackie srm450 plus 2 little sub. But when there is a big system with crossover, 31 band EQ, big amplifier , big subs the sound is not punchy and the highs are horrible . We can feel the bass, but it's on the feet, not in the stomach Most of the dancers seems to like better the one in the stomach, by large vote. So what's do this punch . This append at around any room size.

Thank's a lot Dan

• Members

for me punch is when the kick hits with authority (100-250Hz) while the sub 100 Hz frequencies are clear---while still managing to shake the floor a bit. so many times I've heard subs actually diminish bass impact by being too muddy, thus taking away the 'stomach' punching quality you're talking about. room acoustics are a big factor here.

I'm no pro audiologist---just my observations.:)

/jonny

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Somewhere around 70-80hz is the frequency at which the male chest cavity resonates. That's where the kick of the kick drum hits.

Sub placement is very important. For instance, if you have it placed 3-4ft away from a boundary (wall) then you will get a "notch" at that frequency, which means that the sound bouncing off of the boundary cancels itself out there, and you lose that thump.

Just a thought to consider.

Love,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived