Any way to remove a Seymour Duncan decal?

stratrulz

• Members

Just curious if anyone knows how to remove the Semour Duncan sticker on his pickup covers? I got an SSL-5 on the bridge and I think it looks stupid. Want to get rid of it asap, but I don't want to mess the cover up. Any thoughts, advice, suggestions? Goof Off perhaps?

• Members

I don't remember the website or name of the product but maybe somebody here will. There is an online company that sells decals that fit over the poll pieces. You can get all different colors and they are only a few bucks.

Anybody remember these?

• Members

Just curious if anyone knows how to remove the Semour Duncan sticker on his pickup covers? I got an SSL-5 on the bridge and I think it looks stupid. Want to get rid of it asap, but I don't want to mess the cover up. Any thoughts, advice, suggestions? Goof Off perhaps?

Goof off attacks plastic and will slightly melt it.

• Members

I don't remember the website or name of the product but maybe somebody here will. There is an online company that sells decals that fit over the poll pieces. You can get all different colors and they are only a few bucks.

Anybody remember these?

I purchased some of these to turn my double black humbucker into a zebra. Looked pretty convincing until I nicked the edge of the pickup when strumming my guitar and the decal started peeling up. I believe they are mostly sold to cover the bobbin covers of humbuckers, not single coils.

I've pulled the covers off of single coil SD pickups before and replaced them with other ones I had. Spare covers are usually pretty cheap down at your local GC.

• Members

Someone over on The Gear Page said he uses a little baking soda and his fingernail to remove the "Seymour Duncan" decal and has done it several times without ruining the plastic or anything else. I've never tried it, but I can see how the slight abrasiveness of baking powder could work. I would just be really careful with amount you use because you don't want white powder stuck everywhere. :D

• Members

OP: The "Seymour Duncan" lettering on pup covers is screened on. Not a decal.

I purchased some of these to turn my double black humbucker into a zebra. Looked pretty convincing until I nicked the edge of the pickup when strumming my guitar and the decal started peeling up. I believe they are mostly sold to cover the bobbin covers of humbuckers, not single coils.

No, they are sold to cover any bobbin cover, whether single coil or humbucker (they are available in F-spaced). Assuming you used the same product I have, they are called Bobbin Toppers:

http://www.universaljems.com/cart/bobbin.htm

I have had no problem with mine. Used them to make the blacktops on my Les Paul into zebra-- but unlike the OP I specifically left the "Seymour Duncan" visible, because after all tone is the brand name logo.

Anyhow, for the before and after makeover shots! Here's Cassie before:

CassieCloseupForWeb800Wide.JPG

And here she is after:

zebra1closeupForWeb800Wide.JPG

• Members

Aren't the bobbins on zebra pickups usually reversed between the front and back pickups?

Looks weird, seeing both of your go the same way.

I have one guitar where I purposely have them going the same way because the routing was cramped and I had to flip the PUP around to avoid getting caught on the wire running underneath. (yeah, lefties suck when it comes to wiring too, not just guitars).

Right way:

S1050641.jpg

GibsonAmberLesPaulClassic.jpg

(Not my guitars)

WRONG way:

IMAG0080.jpg

(That's my guitar I was taking about - neck pickup was stuck on the lead so I flipped it around.)

• Members

Aren't the bobbins on zebra pickups usually reversed between the front and back pickups?

Right way:

(Not my guitars)

WRONG way:

(That's my guitar I was taking about - neck pickup was stuck on the lead so I flipped it around.)

The notion that there could be a "right" way and a "wrong" way for the colors of the bobbins on a pickup to be arranged seems ridiculous to me. Most are opposite, some are not.

1959lespaul.jpg

• Members

There's no right or wrong way for original zebra pickups... as they were not meant to be seen... they were covered... they came both ways. But most manufacturers have the cream bobbin with the screws and they generally go to the outsides. Some manufacturers do it the other way around, and most let you order it either way.

The Seymour Duncan logo comes off with a little Fitz and a bit of rubbing.

• Members

Right way:

S1050641.jpg

In the PAF late '50's and PAT early '60's, Gibson used whatever bobbins they had on hand, they didn't care because they were always covered, it probably didn't even occur to them that people would want the cover off.

But they did use a LOT more cream stud bobbins than they did cream adjustable bobbins, which is why the cream stud bobbin version is considered "Zebra" and the cream adjustable version is considered "Reverse Zebra" by a large majority of PU manufacturers. Though these days, Reverse Zebra is generally the more popular aesthetic by many guitar manufacturers.

So, on any given burst you randomly get a mix of...

Zebra...(cream stud, black adjustable)

HolmesZebra1.jpg

Reverse Zebra (black stud, cream adjustable)

l_7c5a328c40414d7da33ffdc4c5bc1c91.jpg

Double Black

2_11_7_65p_black_a.jpg

Double Cream

IMG_0200-1.jpg

And since they were covered they didn't care, and couldn't even see, what went in what position.

• Members

There's no right or wrong way for original zebra pickups... as they were not meant to be seen... they were covered... they came both ways. But most manufacturers have the cream bobbin with the screws and they generally go to the outsides. Some manufacturers do it the other way around, and most let you order it either way.

The Seymour Duncan logo comes off with a little Fitz and a bit of rubbing.

I think more guitars (PRS, Hamer especially) come with the cream on the outside coil, but most PU makers still refer to that as "Reverse Zebra."

• Members

Someone over on The Gear Page said he uses a little baking soda and his fingernail to remove the "Seymour Duncan" decal and has done it several times without ruining the plastic or anything else. I've never tried it, but I can see how the slight abrasiveness of baking powder could work. I would just be really careful with amount you use because you don't want white powder stuck everywhere.
:D

That would be a good route. Baking soda or even salt can be just the right mild abrasive. If the finger nail isn';t enough to push it around, using a damp cloth with either helps keep it moving but keeps it from being so solid it digs in.

• Members

The notion that there could be a "right" way and a "wrong" way for the colors of the bobbins on a pickup to be arranged seems ridiculous to me. Most are opposite, some are not.

It may seem ridiculous to you, but as the others just pointed out, it's the way most manufacturers sell them today - opposite colors between neck and bridge. Now everyone is right, the entire original REASON for the bobbins being multicolored was because they weren't meant to be seen, so it's understandable for something like that '59 to have same sided bobbins, but since we were talking about removing a Seymour Duncan logo I was posting in regards to that. And not just Duncan, most manufacturers from Carvin to GFS alternate the bobbins this way.

• Members

I have used a heat gun to remove labels on poly film & printed cardboard. Heating them up makes the adhesive liquid again and if done carefully does a very good job. Any residue left behind should be able to be removed with household cleaner and some elbow grease. Be careful not to burn your finish (ie. take the cover off the guitar before heating up the label).

• Members

I have used a heat gun to remove labels on poly film & printed cardboard. Heating them up makes the adhesive liquid again and if done carefully does a very good job. Any residue left behind should be able to be removed with household cleaner and some elbow grease. Be careful not to burn your finish (ie. take the cover off the guitar before heating up the label).

Unless someone here knows better, it's NOT a label. They logo is screen printed on, it's ink or paint.

And a heat gun is risking damaging the coil tape or winding insulation.

• Members

Mmmkkk. Well yeah if it's not a sticker then obviously my advise does not apply. I also said remove the pickup cover from the guitar not the whole pickup.

Edit: though I can see how there might be some confusion if they are coverless pickups. I'm assuming a normal metal pickup cover that completely covers the full pickup not the cover of the actual pickup.

Archived