so is your stuff tagged and tested?

cobberdig

• Members

It happened to my singer once during an outdoor gig. The weather was warm and dry. He was only zapped for a split second at 110v. We never did figure it out. He just kept the mic away from his mouth. Punk rock man!

We ALWAYS check for voltage between guitar string (with amp on and volume rolled up) and microphone (turned on) with a volt meter, sometimes it's there. Usually caused by guitar rigs and pa not being on same circuit and a ground problem somewhere.

• Members

yeah it makes sense, as every place you go into has some form of oh&s policy, and they drummed it into us when i did metal work at tafe, just never come across it playing gigs. wonder if they have dance police also?

What jurisdiction (state? province? country?) are you in? Ignore-- just saw you are in Oz.

I've never seen a provision like that before.

I have, however, seen a "no slam-dancing" clause. The University of Florida had it in a gig contract I worked once.

• Members

I've never heard of that before, but then a lot of the venues near me have such abysmal wiring that the building itself presents much more of a hazard to your amp than your amp could ever present to it.

EVERYONE should have one of these in their gig bags, and take a few seconds before plugging in at a gig. Hell, they're only like $5.

31QZFD5DD9L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

• Members

Punk rock man!

yeah the instance i know of, happened in a Squat in den haag in the netherlands and i can just picture it - the one working power point in the place and the tangle of powerboards on powerboards and extentions cords running everywhere....

• Members

yeah the instance i know of, happened in a Squat in den haag in the netherlands and i can just picture it - the one working power point in the place and the tangle of powerboards on powerboards and extentions cords running everywhere....

Yup! Sounds like the gig only 3000 miles away... :thu:

• Members

Its a stupid, overcautious piece of bureaucracy. Fight it. Fight it or you will be subsumed by red tape just to play a song or two and make people smile. Its a slippery slope. If you let this pass, next time you might have to test the volume of your guitar to be sure it doesn't disrupt migrating narwhals or rare owls. :eek:

• Members
yeah so this cords running the gig downstairs, and this ones running the grinder welder out the back, and this ones running some hobo's tv and toaster.....
:)

OMG! I've seen that EXACT outlet and connectors at my local bar. Except that they are running 1) the PA, 2) the Miller High Life beer sign, 3) the black fluorescents (six, in series) around the dance floor.

• Members

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I thought I should mention that you can buy extension boards with a ECB/GFI built in, so if your worried about the mains at a club your at then one of these will protect you, should be about 50 bucks, just make sure everything you are using is plugged into one of these and your safe.

The only downside of one of these I can think of is that they might kill the power in the middle of your set, but its better than killing you eh...

BTW they cut the power off within nanoseconds, you don't even feel it!

Mick

• 2 years later...
  • Members

This is back on the agenda in the UK. Councils are prohibiting bands playing in their halls unless the gear is PAT tested. Since much of the gear is digital or 'sensitive' this now amounts to visual examination only. My son (a music student) has been pulled at college over his bass rig - this is employment legislation remember so he does not qualify. The stickers are not the problem, it is the detailed record keeping to support the tests.

Would you test every piece of electrical equipment in your home? For consistency you should.

• Members

We ALWAYS check for voltage between guitar string (with amp on and volume rolled up) and microphone (turned on) with a volt meter, sometimes it's there. Usually caused by guitar rigs and pa not being on same circuit and a ground problem somewhere.

David Gilmour once said they used to check by contact between Waters' bass strings and the mike .

Mostly ok except for the time it blew the strings off the bass.

Archived