Mark Knopfler Appreciation Thread

chqtarzan

• Members

LOVE me some Knopfler...

He, along with David Gilmour, are probably the only two guitarists I can literally listen to for a week at a time without intervention without something heavier, lighter, slower or faster. They are just so endlessly great to me.

Interesting that you would mention David Gilmour - I find that they have a similar approach to the guitar but Gilmour displays more of a B.B. King influence.

I first heard Dire Straits just after the second album came out. I was driving the truck home from a gig in the middle of the night when Sultans of Swing came on the AM radio. I found a spot along the highway where the radio came in clear and stopped the truck. It was so refreshing to hear that guitar.

I immediately went out and bought the two albums and began to systematically learn and analyze all the songs in the order they appeared on the records. I was playing strats thru a twin in those days and discovered how much more I could do with fingerstyle than with a pick and how to fit different licks over chord changes - it literally changed my life.

I still find that MK's guitar can bring a tear to my eye when I listen to his solos - the perfect combination of feeling and technique. The man is a musical genius.

• Members

I haven't given much of his solo stuff a listen to be honest, I need to hear more :).

There are some Dire Straits tunes that are among my all time favorite guitar work though. I've been a HUGE fan of 'Sultans of Swing" since I first heard it. His solos in that are some of my all time favorites.

The softer attack he gets by playing with fingers instead of pick is a huge part of what I like so much. Hell, if he used a pick on some of that stuff, it would ruin the entire vibe (IMHO).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It's funny to find this thread here because I just came up from the basement where I was working on refinishing a desk, listening to Dire Straits "Best Of". I've been really obsessed with MK's playing lately. I can't seem to get enough. For me right now, Telegraph Road and Brothers in Arms are the songs that I get absorbed in every little nuance of the guitar playing.

I've been trying to listen to his more recent solo stuff but I just can't seem to get into it. I love some of the guitar work, but the songs themselves just aren't something that are doing it for me. I'm trying to make myself like them but it's just not working so far.

• Members

his solo stuff is some of the best song writing i have ever heard..

i have pretty much his entire catalog on my mp3 player..

no one has that kinda touch.. not that i can tell.. he defiantly break through that

thing where its way more then just a guitar.. the thing is alive..

[video=youtube;eAZkycnUpSw]

• Members

From the very first Dire Straits album, I've been a huge fan of his. In the late 70s, when rock was suffering from massive overproduction, along comes Dire Straits with this clean tone Strat and bluesy vocals. If someone with talent and a no-nonsense style popped up today it'd be a welcome relief.

Archived