Every time I visit my parents and play my dad's Squier 51

Dash4814

• Members

...I want one. :facepalm:

I said I wouldn't mess with any more cheapies, but damn if this isn't a nice feeling and sounding guitar. Neck is amazing.

I love the cult-like following they have, too. People seem to really get into them.

There's one on eBay with a p-rails, which seems interesting.

• Members

Yeah, I bought a total of 3 of them, 2 for me and 1 for my stepson. I haven't played mine in a while, but I'll eventually rotate back to them My plan was to leave one virtually stock and the other was slated to get an alnico II pro Tele neck p'up and a Pearly Gates Plus for the bridge. I believe I got the p'ups but just haven't done the install yet. But I enjoy them, I just think a tone knob would have been nice.

• Members

The '51 is a cool guitar. I modified my blonde and then gave it away for a good cause. I think it's a good platform for the do-it-yourself types, but stock they need fret work at a minimum.

My brother had 3 of them, but he's down to one black one. I actually have his black one here now because it needs the fret ends filed and a new bridge. The stock bridge is poorly designed.

The stock pups are actually pretty decent. I tried a few different pups while I had mine, but settled on a GFS lipstick neck and the stock humbucker in the bridge.

I'm not a vintage 7.25" radius fretboard fan. Certainly, I can play the vintage radius just fine and it's very comfortable for rhythm stuff, but 7.25" tend to fret out on bends past the 12th fret unless you set the action high. Personally, I play all the way to the 21st or 22nd. I want all the notes to ring out loud and clear, so I already have medium to high action on my flatter radius fretboards. I think 9.5" on a Strat is a good compromise and I also like a compound radius or even the flatter LP fretboards.

• Members

I know, right? I want one, too. Badly. I missed them when they were new but I completely want one now.

It looks like I have some kind of sickness where the only guitars I'm GAS'ing for these days are Squiers but I'm not insane... Squier just keeps releasing guitars that match my sensibility and taste and I pine for them. I like cheap guitars but I would even lust after a '51 or a VM Jazzmaster or a CV Tele Custom if it cost twice as much.

What the hell is wrong with me? :facepalm: What do you call the exact polar opposite of a corksniffer? That's what I am.

• Members

I actually have his black one here now because it needs the fret ends filed and a new bridge. The stock bridge is poorly designed.

The stock pups are actually pretty decent. I tried a few different pups while I had mine, but settled on a GFS lipstick neck and the stock humbucker in the bridge.

I put one of the GFS replacement bridges on one of mine, which is a better design, easier for re-stringing; but the top of the little set screws are waaay sharp on that GFS bridge. I need to smooth them out a bit.

3 finishes available

topmohabrfit1.jpg&maxx=0&maxy=300

But I agree with you about the stock p'ups, they are really pretty good and I was surprised to see how well the neck and bridge p'up combine together whether in the HB split or full mode. That's why I ended up with two, I wanted to leave one stock.

• Members

I put one of the GFS replacement bridges on one of mine, which is a better design, easier for re-stringing; but the top of the little set screws are waaay sharp on that GFS bridge. I need to smooth them out a bit.

3 finishes available

But I agree with you about the stock p'ups, they are really pretty good and I was surprised to see how well the neck and bridge p'up combine together whether in the HB split or full mode. That's why I ended up with two, I wanted to leave one stock.

I had that exact same bridge in black. In fact, I thought I still had it here. However, I just looked through my house and turned up a bunch of bridges but can't locate that one. Oh well, if I can't find it soon, I guess I'll order another one.

• Members

I had that exact same bridge in black. In fact, I thought I still had it here. However, I just looked through my house and turned up a bunch of bridges but can't locate that one. Oh well, if I can't find it soon, I guess I'll order another one.

I wasn't sure if I'd buy the GFS one again. Yeah, it's easier to string, but the sharpness of the adjustment screw tops is annoying. You do also have to tap a couple new holes. I also went with the black to go with my blonde. I might have just done chrome if I were to rethink it. IIRC, I was thinking about getting black metal dome knobs to match at the time.

• Members

The 51 is one of those guitars that just work. Too bad they do not make them anymore. Beginner or seasoned vet it is a fun guitar to play. I decided aginst doing the mod thing with mine so that when I retire I will have the only stock example left on Earth and it will be worth millions.:p:evil::lol:

• Members

I have two of 'em. A blonde one and a vintage burst one.

They are awesome! I had to file the rough fret ends, lower the action, and tighten the truss rod and set the intonation.

A good fret level, crown, and polish would really make them perfect. But they're already great as they are.

I love the stock pickups and I won't ever change them. Through a Tubescreamer into my Peavey Classic 50 4x10 they sound EXCELLENT!

I love the non-harsh crystal clear highs on the single coil settings. And the humbucker sounds plenty phat and warm. I love how they sound very Fender-y..... but sound different than a Tele or Strat.

• Members

aren't all the 51's 9.5 or did I misunderstand your post?

No. All the Squier '51's have vintage fretboard radius (7.25"). I realize now that my post did not make that clear. I prefer 9.5" or flatter which is probably why I was able to give my '51 away. I'm also a fan of compound radius fretboards.

• Members

No. All the Squier '51's have vintage fretboard radius (7.25"). I realize now that my post did not make that clear. I prefer 9.5" or flatter which is probably why I was able to give my '51 away. I'm also a fan of compound radius fretboards.

No. The Squier '51s have 9.5 radius.

http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-FEN0325100

This product has been discontinued. Please contact our sales department for help in selecting a similar replacement.

Fender Squier '51

The all-new Squier '51 is a value-priced screamer offering unique looks and functionality. Its clean appearance belies its true nature, with tonal possibilities galore (via its rotary selector and push-pull coil tap).

Specifications:

* MODEL NAME: Squier '51

* MODEL NUMBER: 031-5100-(Color#)

* SERIES: Squier Vintage Modified Series

* BODY: Basswood

* NECK: Maple, C-Shape,(Polyurethane Finish)

* FINGERBOARD: Maple, 9.5" Radius (241 mm)

* NO. OF FRETS: 21 Medium Jumbo

* SCALE LENGTH: 25.5" (648 mm)

* WIDTH AT NUT: 1.650" (42 mm)

* HARDWARE: Chrome

* MACHINE HEADS: Standard Die-Cast Tuners

* BRIDGE: Hard-tail 6-Saddle Bridge

* PICKGUARD: 1-Ply White

* PICKUPS: 1 Single-Coil Strat

Archived