Ever heard of a wiring scheme like this?

notjonahbutnoah

• Members

For an LP, I would like to have 1 knob be master volume, keep the two tone knobs, and then the 4th knob would be a pan for when the switch is in the middle. (preferably with a pot that "clicked" into the exact middle) That way, you could still do the stutter thing if you wanted, and I that it would be easier to dial in more interesting tones.

Could this be done?

• Members

It can be done.

The big problem with that is that every pot you run through, things get muddier. With that scheme, you run through three pots insted of two, so the resistance gets pretty high.

You can overcome that some by using a 1 meg volume pot or using a treble bleed on the volume.

Gretsch gets away with similar wiring, especially on Dynasonics...but those are super bright pickups to begin with. It's tougher to do on buckers.

My Alleykat uses a master/volume/volume/tone setup and I go back and forth on whether I like it or hate it.

EG

• Members

Interesting. Well let's say I want a master volume. What's a fun thing to do with that last pot?

Replace it with a switch. You could do any number of interesting configurations that way such as have options for series/parallel, and out-of-phase.

This site is a great resource:

guitarnuts.com

Good luck. Once you get the wiring bug it's hard to shake it. :thu:

• Members

Some people just put a dummy in there.

Or a varitone. :D

Gretsch often used those two or three way switches for tone to overcome some of that, so that's a possibility, too.

Maybe get a Tonestyler. :poke:

My brother has an old Gibson Marauder that uses a pickup pan knob. I think it works very well, but it has super bright blade style picups in it that compensate for some of the extra drag.

Higher value pots offset that a lot, though. Not like it couldn't be undone if you hated it.

EG

• Members

Replace it with a switch. You could do any number of interesting configurations that way such as have options for series/parallel, and out-of-phase.

This site is a great resource:

guitarnuts.com

Good luck. Once you get the wiring bug it's hard to shake it.
:thu:

Heh, thanks man. I actually did that to an LP once. I had a P Rails in the neck and replaced a pot with a switch that got me the P90, the rail, and the full humbucker modes on the rails.

There were some interesting tones to be had, but something about having a swtich there bugged me. I dunno. I may just go the old school bumble bee route. Either way, my LP needs some tlc in the control cavity.

• Members

Some people just put a dummy in there.

Or a varitone.
:D

Gretsch often used those two or three way switches for tone to overcome some of that, so that's a possibility, too.

Maybe get a Tonestyler. :poke:

My brother has an old Gibson Marauder that uses a pickup pan knob. I think it works very well, but it has super bright blade style picups in it that compensate for some of the extra drag.

Higher value pots offset that a lot, though. Not like it couldn't be undone if you hated it.

EG

Word, I think your first post kinda killed it for me. I don't really want anything nutty, and don't want weird mods or pickups that I purchased based on wiring, ya know?

Heh, I could do a GFS modboard. On-board flanger baby! :facepalm:

• Members

Yeah, reminds me of those Dano strat lookin things that had onboard effects. Revolutionary. :lol:

Well since this is pretty much just you and me talking at this point, and I know you change out wiring bits sometimes, have you ever heard the same guitar with and without those big bumble-bee tone caps? Do they actually sound nicer? Snake oil?

• Members

That's what the 5th knob on a Rickenbacker is - a blend knob. I don't think it muddies up the signal any on those. There isn't a middle detente on my 620, but it's pretty easy to find the sweet spot between neck and bridge (OK, I usually just leave it all the way to the bridge).

This is what you would use:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/CPB500/Alps-500K-Guitar-and-Bass-Pickup-Balance-Blend-Pot.html

EDIT - here's one w/ middle detente - http://www.grguitars.com/parts_5electronics.htm

Archived