VINTAGE 30 + GREENBACK mismatch in 2x12 cab - (YOUTUBE CLIP)

Johansolo

• Members

GB/V30 comparison...i have them as a mismatch in my2x12, as framus loads their ruby riot combos with this mismatch. my amp is the head version of the ruby riot so figured why not (have been using this mismatch for over a year now) im aware that some other amps like the matchless DC30 also do this use this mismatch.

[video=youtube;pZyqI27vvFk]

FWIW...yes there are variables, the V30 came stock in the cab and i replaced it with a second hand GB which possibly has had more hours on it.

also my micing technique could sway one or the other, but i tried my best to make sure it was the same.

also my amp isnt a brootz amp, and i never ever run the lead channel gain that high (esp with the bridge humbucker at full) but i thought it would be funny to hear.

and yes contrary to popuar belief, one doesnt noticably overpower the other when you are standing a few steps back.

can you guess which one is which?

• Members

also...dont be fooled by the in-cab shot at the beginning, as the picture is rotated upside down...BUT i also flipped the speakers left/right recently,

BUT... also took it to a speaker tech friend to try out (he said both speakers are still in mint condition) who may have also possibly flipped the speakers...so i actually myself cant 100% say which one is which until i open up the back

• Members

I'd say when the microphone is pointing towards the right side of the screen, that's the Greenback.

Funny thing is, in the crunch and lead clips, I preferred the Vintage 30 (or whatever is on the left side of the cab) to the Greenback or to both speakers miked in the distance whereas in a real room, Vintage 30s tend to grate on my nerves with heavier sounds.

• Members

GB is on the right. V30 on left, when facing the amp like the camera.

You like bassier tones than I but I found that incredibly interesting.

They both sounded decent separately, but the blended tone was better in all instances, IMO. I've been toying with the idea of a warmer speaker for my 212. I currently have two Celestion 75's. That's way on the back burner, but I did enjoy that little demo.

Nice job, sir.

• Members

I just noticed your comment about one not overpowering the other... Yeah, at reasonable volumes, they are pretty well matched, as is a G12H30, but as you crank them up in a closed back cab, at a certain point, the Greenback sounds like it's losing its cool and it just might explode whereas the H30 and the Vintage 30 sound pretty collected to higher volume that I care to venture. At polite to slightly louder than living room volumes, for my tastes, for my kind of playing, I definitely prefer the Greenback. The H30 sounds pretty similar once you get them going, but at those very polite volume levels, the H30 sounds brighter than the Greenback but honestly, I think that goes right out the window at gig levels.

• Members

I just noticed your comment about one not overpowering the other... Yeah, at reasonable volumes, they are pretty well matched, as is a G12H30, but as you crank them up in a closed back cab, at a certain point, the Greenback sounds like it's losing its cool and it just might explode whereas the H30 and the Vintage 30 sound pretty collected to higher volume that I care to venture. At polite to slightly louder than living room volumes, for my tastes, for my kind of playing, I definitely prefer the Greenback. The H30 sounds pretty similar once you get them going, but at those very polite volume levels, the H30 sounds brighter than the Greenback but honestly, I think that goes right out the window at gig levels.

the volume for the clean channel (crunch tone) is pretty much the loudest it gets (it just compresses more after 1oclock) and it was stupidly loud in the room. both still sounded pretty balanced. i do agree if youre using an ultra mega 100W amp that the greenback may struggle, but for my 30W amp...this combo works really well.

• Members

I associate V30's with the garbage bin. Don't even care where it is, get rid of it.

i have a love hate/relation ship with thme

hate them when playing alone and at home and up close.

like them when jamming with a drummer/live or for certain tones when recording

i like greenbacks all the time thou

• Members

i have a love hate/relation ship with thme

hate them when playing alone and at home and up close.

like them when jamming with a drummer/live or for certain tones when recording

i like greenbacks all the time thou

That's exactly my take as well. :thu:

Archived