technology / the internet ~ music industry relationships

J.Paul

• Members

I WIN : I get a great part for a fair price

I LOSE : I didn't learn anything. I didn't have the opportunity to learn about his signal

What do you wanna learn from having the guitarist in your own studio?

Why should I pay a background choir the travel to Italy when someone in Taipei can record it for me and transfer the tracks.

Why should there be any disadvantage when a producer uses latest technology? In my opinion it has only advantages when I can be more time at home

• Members

Good feedback so far.....

An example of the paradigm that concerns me :

I hire a pedal steel player through the internet to play a part on a song I'm pitching to our plugger (he only lives 15 miles from me). He is a live guy and studio guy.I Paypal him, send him an mp3, he lays the track, sends it back and it's done.

I WIN : I get a great part for a fair price

I LOSE : I didn't learn anything. I didn't have the opportunity to learn about his signal

chain, gear, method, how he sets his protool session up,....I didn't even get

to go to another part of town to see or learn about another neighborhood.I

only got a steel guitar part in a WAV file

HE WINS : He gets to lay the part at his leisure, at his home (or hotel room), with his

gear of choice.

HE LOSES : When the singer I play guitar for wants to hire a steel player for the fall tour

I won't refer him to audition (or refer him to any other road gig). I have

NO idea if his personality will mesh with our crew. Instead, I'll refer a guy

I saw on 2nd and Broadway, had a beer with, and got to hang with.

There wasn't any room for anything more to germinate

Good post. Yeah, I would say that describes the advantages and disadvantages of both methods very well.

I will say that for overdubs like this, the way you did it isn't likely to result in a "worse" end result from having him come to the studio. But if the whole record is done that way - that is, if nobody on the project has ever met or ever records in the same room together - then I do think the end result suffers. So it's largely a matter of degree, like a lot of things.

• Members

Why should I pay a background choir the travel to Italy when someone in Taipei can record it for me and transfer the tracks.

That's exactly right. That's where technology and the internet are at it's strongest and are serving us......

but in my Lap Steel guitar session example above the guy only lives 15 miles from me. He got his Paypal transfer but didn't get the full human experience.

I got my WAV file but didn't get the full human experience.

granted "the full human experience" sometimes mean the guy's an asshole, got bad breath, dog is gonna give you fleas, lives in a bad neighborhood, times 1000 other things; but that's for another thread.

• Members

You cant live your life through a computer. Many try and fail. Its a good tool to help support a business or hobby.

When it comes to good music it, will always require people to read each others body language emotions. The human

element cannot be transmitted over the net.

• Members

granted "the full human experience" sometimes mean the guy's an asshole, got bad breath, dog is gonna give you fleas, lives in a bad neighborhood, times 1000 other things; but that's for another thread.

You and me, we live in different world, at least professionally spoken. I understand what yo are saying, but most of it has nothing in common how I or most other producer/composer make a product.

And about the assholenees of people working with me, when I would care about each one to find out if he is an asshole or not, then that would be already a profession of its own.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived