Anybody know about RM Olson guitar kits?

t-rey

• Members

Cross posted from fx forum - figgured I may get more input here :thu:

Work was pretty slow yesterday and I started looking for random stuff on ebay. I found these kits on ebay and his site also says he will do custom stuff as well. The google told me that these are somewhat similar to Agile guitars - custom order stuff from China that is put together and distributed in America. He is claiming two piece Mahogany bodies and one piece necks (what is the Chinese 'Mahogany' again?). Boredom makes me curious so I have been considering emailing him about making me a double cut LP kit - I have been thinking about building a 'kit' guitar and these seem like they may be a good place to start.

Here is the link to one of his ebay auctions: SG Kit

Anybody have any experience or opinions on these? The few reviews I have found have been generally favorable in the same way that Agile reviews are - good guitars, but great guitars for the money.

• Members

They are the same company-Rondo

Actually, SX is it's own company that is distributed in the US by Rondo. Agile is made by one of the Korean factories to Rondo's specs. I want to say it's the Unsung factory, but I could be wrong. Then there's Douglas, which is also made to Rondo's spec, but made by Saein/Shine in China, but generally not as good as Agile.

• Members

They are the same company-Rondo

Incorrect! Agile guitars are made for Rondo music only. SX guitars are sold by Rondo music but are not exclusivly for Rondo music.

Those kits don't look too bad, if you guy it please post here to let us all know what the quality is like.

Max

• Members

Incorrect! Agile guitars are made for Rondo music only. SX guitars are sold by Rondo music but are not exclusivly for Rondo music.

Those kits don't look too bad, if you guy it please post here to let us all know what the quality is like.

Max

Will do :thu: I don't really care for the flamed maple look on SGs so I am considering emailing him to work out a more customized kit or fully built SG. If that falls through, there is a good possibility I will still look into getting a Les Paul from him (gold top with humbuckers ftw).

• Members

Cross posted from fx forum - figgured I may get more input here
:thu:

Work was pretty slow yesterday and I started looking for random stuff on ebay. I found these kits on ebay and his site also says he will do custom stuff as well. The google told me that these are somewhat similar to Agile guitars - custom order stuff from China that is put together and distributed in America. He is claiming two piece Mahogany bodies and one piece necks (what is the Chinese 'Mahogany' again?). Boredom makes me curious so I have been considering emailing him about making me a double cut LP kit - I have been thinking about building a 'kit' guitar and these seem like they may be a good place to start.

Here is the link to one of his ebay auctions:
SG Kit

Anybody have any experience or opinions on these? The few reviews I have found have been generally favorable in the same way that Agile reviews are - good guitars, but great guitars for the money.

The next production run I will have some made without the flamed tops. These are not made of Chinese mahogany which is really saple. These kits are real mahogany. A lot of the wood used on Chinese guitars is imported just as is a lot of the hardware.

Thanks

Robert M Olson

• Members

Hi Robert,

Welcome to HCGF.

I had a quick question about your kits, probably just a generic description but your sg and lp kits say a 3/4" neck thickness at the nut. Is that accurate? That is like Ibanez wizard thin if I am not mistaken.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hi Robert,

Welcome to HCGF.

I had a quick question about your kits, probably just a generic description but your sg and lp kits say a 3/4" neck thickness at the nut. Is that accurate? That is like Ibanez wizard thin if I am not mistaken.

Thanks.

Those are the thin fast necks at only 3/4" thick and about 1 5/8" wide at the nut.

We can do those kits however someone wants them but I would have to get a few calls for building them a special way before I would do it. I probable will do some SG style in plain mahogany next run. These are not Chinese mahogany which is called Sapele. That is a beautiful wood though that most people could not tell it from mahogany. Just because they use it in China doesn't mean it is from China... it is actually from Africa.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Cross posted from fx forum - figgured I may get more input here
:thu:

Here is the link to one of his ebay auctions:
SG Kit

You can get mahogany guitar kits right now for only $100.00 when you join the Guitars For Real Players Forum (no cost to join) The R M Olson Company offers members of the forum all kinds of great deals. Here is the link to join.

http://gfrm.phantomotaku.com/member.php?action=register&referrer=4

Archived