Copyrighting an album, but want each song searchable...(yes, another copyright q)

• Members

Ok, maybe it's because I've been searching forever for a definitive answer and can't seem to find one, or that I'm extremely tired, but I can't find the answer to my question. And yes, I've searched all over on here and the copyright website. There's conflicting answers and fuzzy wording that for some reason I can't seem to understand.

I want to copyright 12 songs at once, but I want them to be listed individually so I (or whoever) can search for each individual song. The easy way would be to copyright each song individually, but I don't have that kind of money. Can I use the SR continuation form and write down each track number and name? Someone suggested that answer, and another person said I have to do the CA form (and some other form) and pay $100, and another person said no it's only a few dollars extra for each title.

The one that makes the most sense is to use the continuation sheet, and in that massive blank white space, write down the collection name (the title of my album), and then list each track name separately...without needing to pay an extra fee. Is this the correct way?

• Moderators

I don't think you will be able to see below the collection title in a search, since you are regsitering a 'work' (your collection) as a single item. All adding the song tities does is confirm the songs are part of the collection should anyone want the right to perform, and you would have to essentially release the entire collection to them, IIRC.

I believe if you want all the bells and whistles, you have to pay for all the bells and whistles.

Archived